Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: CANVAZ 2018 Planning Thread  (Read 15803 times)

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
Re: CANVAZ 2018 Planning Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
I suck at planning.  But I will be happy to lead a trail, pre-run, bring wood, sing and dance, and drink.  You can count on me.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2018, 09:59:44 AM »
I guess lets do a vote. 

Anza has alot of great trails but desert.
Big Bear also has great trails but has been a few times.
Other locations would need a variety of trails from green to black, and pre runs of trails to make sure they are suitable.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »
I guess lets do a vote. 

Anza has alot of great trails but desert.
Big Bear also has great trails but has been a few times.
Other locations would need a variety of trails from green to black, and pre runs of trails to make sure they are suitable.

Anza Borrego FTW.

Sorry, I've been trying to not plan this planned trip, but the "I just want to help a group of friends" gene constantly foils my plan of not planning/posting.

Sooooo...with that said, and after reading this thread through several times, I'd like to offer these thoughts, please feel free to C&P (cut & paste) as necessary:

What:  CANVAZ 2018

When:  Friday October 5th, Saturday October 6th, Sunday October 7th, and optional day Monday October 8th

Where:  Anza Borrego/Truckhaven/Ocotillo Wells SVRA...specific camps spots TBD (to be disucssed)

Who:

SCCX Crew who have volunteered to Trail Lead/Assist with Pre-Run:

Celt
Jayrat
RikRong
JFanaselle
RBDuffer
Sage Bromax

SCCX Crew who have volunteered to Organize/Food Plan:

CAWoody
Jayrat
JFanaselle
xxSVxx

If I missed anyone, please post up the specs and I'll add you before we start an official "CANVAZ 2018 Thread" here on SCCX. 

To keep this simple, so you all are monitoring ONE thread, don't cross post a new CANVAZ thread to other forums. 

A link might be cool, to this thread specifically, but I would keep that to the AZXC forum. 

Since there is no Nevada specific forum, maybe just hitting one of the Rogue Overland folks with a PM here linking them to the thread here could help to spread the Silver State word.

Thoughts???

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:39:58 AM by Ghost65 »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2018, 09:46:06 AM »
Suggested Green Runs:

Sandstone Canyon/Mud Caves

Sheep Canyon

Blair Valley/Pictographs/Marshall South Cabin

Old Borrego Springs Road from S-22 to Highway 78 overland route

Old Kane Springs Rd. from Highway 86 to Split Mountain Rd.

Metal Sculptures scattered throughout Borrego Springs, Galleta Meadows

Suggested Blue Runs:

Calcite Mine/Truckhaven Trail

El Diablo Drop Off/Canyon Sin Nombre/Sandstone Canyon Combo

Oriflamme/Rodriguez Canyon

Suggested Black/Dark Blue Runs (depending on which rigs show):

Pinyon Mountain/The Squeeze/Heartbreak Hill

Truckhaven Hills/Phone Booth/Fire Hydrant locations

Superstition Mountain/Sand Dam Area
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:51:54 AM by Ghost65 »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
Seeee!  I told you guys that if we acted stupid enough, for long enough, that JT3 would not be able to control his 'control gene'.

Leaders ARE born, not made.  It is your blessing and your curse, the universe is calling to you John.  And we are thankful for your answer :-*
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »
Seeee!  I told you guys that if we acted stupid enough, for long enough, that JT3 would not be able to control his 'control gene'.

Leaders ARE born, not made.  It is your blessing and your curse, the universe is calling to you John.  And we are thankful for your answer :-*

Lol...I prefer to term it "help gene".  :D

Now Joe, Jay, et al, take the info and run with it.
KD6DCI

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 08:01:18 PM »
Lol...I prefer to term it "help gene".  :D

Now Joe, Jay, et al, take the info and run with it.
I volunteer to lead the Canyon Sin Nombre/ Diablo Run??
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
I don't feel like I have enough experience in this area to lead anything. However, I'm more than happy to help scout trails and maybe get a little experience to help the trail leads.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
I've only been to AB a handful of times and couldn't tell you where anything really is, so I'm thinking support is more suited to my role for this....but I'm open to helping wherever it's needed

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »
 I'd be glad to lead any run out there. Pinyon Mtn. is by far my most favorite but there will no doubt be some carnage through the squeeze as long as people understand they may be the "victim". I would like to lead one long trail maybe something like the Tectonic wash into crossover/military trail and into fish creek. If I end up leading Pinyon Mtn. we will run that same general way anyway only in reverse. I would also volunteer for a Calcite Mine run which can get just about anyone going up there.

I have several campsites in mind but N. Palm Wash comes to mind as the best. It's flat for you roof top tent glampers, very close to gas that's not overly expensive, supplies etc. It's secluded from all the bro's and the mariachi music permeating through the air well into 0400 and no ATV/Dirtbike etc traffic is allowed. You can have a fire/fires and is close to many of all those trails everyone is talking about doing. Were out of SD County and the Imperial Co. rangers seem to be much more friendly although I've never seen one in that area. The guys coming from AZ and NV can easily get in with basic directions and it's probably a lot closer than other options.

My concern with the camping is we will need to have at least one person in camp through the day while everyone is out on the trails. Just too much stuff available for a five finger discount if a large camp is left unattended. I'm probably out for the group meal planning as I've found it's just too much work to try and feed an Army before and after trail runs so I'm just going to be that hermit guy who is eating Mountain House freeze dried food or MRE's. Our big chow lines produce some fine meals and are fantastic but I just don't think I'll have the time or energy to contribute and still enjoy the event while leading trails and assisting where I can to make sure visitors have a good time. I can compile a great list of 2M frequencies that I've found cover the majority of the valley and I'm sure others have good info too. Keeping this simple with less to go wrong is probably a good idea and everything will work out I'm sure.
Isaiah 6:8

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »
I have done calcite mine a few times, but that is a pretty short run so there will need to be something else plan for the blue group.

I can’t commit yet because I am still planning my October trip to Asia. But if I am open I will be happy to help and lead trail.

Celt

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
I have done calcite mine a few times, but that is a pretty short run so there will need to be something else plan for the blue group.

I can’t commit yet because I am still planning my October trip to Asia. But if I am open I will be happy to help and lead trail.

I agree that Calcite Mine is a fairly short trip. I think incorporating it with something down into Truckhaven might work out or even a night run up there?

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2018, 04:35:32 PM »
If we did camp in the north fork of palm wash, Calcite Mine would be an easy night run. It's right there.

Celt

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »
Just a thought out there if you guys would like me to take overall responsibility for CANVAZ I will. If you want to keep it more loosely organized that's fine too as we have some great talent here that always performs making our trips top notch.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »
I'll keep camping up to you guys , as I don't really know camping out there.
My question is do we want to be completely off the grid like Desert Rendezvous
or have toilets and water like Mountain Rendezvous
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch