Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: CANVAZ 2018 Planning Thread  (Read 16244 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: CANVAZ 2018 Planning Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 09:01:40 AM »
I like the AB idea to mix it up a little, and it was great weather last October :D

I would be happy to lead a trail or three whether I know them or not >:D

I'm not much on pre-planing but when the time comes, I will be there for the team.

Thanks for "not" taking point on this John ;)

Cool Randy, and thanks for chiming in.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
I would be glad to jump in for anything in Anza Borrego. The squeeze and heart attack hill are some of my favorites (Pinyon Mountain). Big Bear, John Bull is always fun no matter what. Anything else in Anza Borrego is super easy for me as I'm always lurking around down there. Anza Borrego can really be nice because guys don't have to have a lot of modifications and the trails can be easily changed around a bit to accommodate. Salton City is close enough for food/fuel and guys coming in from AZ and NV. Visitors from out of state or county should really love Calcite Mine for the views and the Pumpkin Patch with the surrounding mud hills just because it's really cool. Fish Creek is not to be missed for the visitors. Lots and lots of places to set up camp out of the way that holds a large group and not be bothered by drunks playing dueling mariachi/rap music until 0400. Let me know what I can do in the planning phase or leading a trail or two.

I figured AB would be your first choice Erik...lets see who else has a preference, but I like all of your ideas...thanks for posting up.  :)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 11:33:04 PM »
Any of the runs I am on I will be happy to add geologic interpretation.  There is some pretty cool stuff out there.  Any of you been to the cold gas wells?  They are in a remote area on top of some hills out closer to the Salton Sea.  Depending on where we camp, there are also the geothermal mud pots out by the southeastern side of the Salton Sea. 
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »
A geologic run would be a heck of a lot of fun. My Dad does guided trips down there for ABNA all through the year so I'm sure he would participate and give some historical input and take people to native encampments etc. There are still remnants of places where Patton trained the troops prior to the N. African campaign so that alone with the historical value is pretty darn cool. With enough forethought and planning I think Anza Borrego could be a really great place to go and folks attending could leave with a lot more appreciation of what has happened there through time while getting in some real quality wheeling.
Isaiah 6:8

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »
Tony and Eric, I for one would really like that.  And I'm sure everyone else would too.  This is shaping up Quickly!
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »
I'll try to remember to bring some reference books and maps next weekend.  We can start planning this out.  Of course, we will have to do a recon next fall and the following spring to verify our site and routes.   8)
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 10:09:51 PM »
Explore Death Valley will be fun. There is so much to do there.

Celt

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 08:59:18 AM »
I'll try to remember to bring some reference books and maps next weekend.  We can start planning this out.  Of course, we will have to do a recon next fall and the following spring to verify our site and routes.   8)

Recon, ahem, yes, yes that's exactly what we need to do and how I can sell getting out of the house. Perfect idea there!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
Not sure if you guys follow Roger Mullins of Just Runs...but they have a new term there, which I like and is in reference to your last few posts...it's called "scouting."

So, if there are neckerchiefs and smokey the bear hats...I'm all in.  :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
KD6DCI

Celt

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »
Not sure if you guys follow Roger Mullins of Just Runs...but they have a new term there, which I like and is in reference to your last few posts...it's called "scouting."

So, if there are neckerchiefs and smokey the bear hats...I'm all in.  :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I dunno bout any neckerchiefs but someone might wear a Batman cape and a fez in place, does that work?

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »
Capes and fez' yes...no mosquito netting or name tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »
I personally don't know any of the mentioned areas all that well.  However, should you all start doing pre-runs, I'd be more than happy to tag along, learn the trails, and maybe assist as tail on some of the runs.  I also don't mind helping out with anything else, should you all need it. 
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Celt

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 12:50:32 PM »
I personally don't know any of the mentioned areas all that well.  However, should you all start doing pre-runs, I'd be more than happy to tag along, learn the trails, and maybe assist as tail on some of the runs.  I also don't mind helping out with anything else, should you all need it. 

Weeeellllllllllllll, funny you should mention that. I'm back to Mo-Tu-Wed off for the next few months, The Duffman and I are already planning some more mid-week desert shenanagens should you wish to attend.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 10:32:11 AM »
Just Bringing this thread back to life.
2018 is our turn
October will be here before we know it.

We need Organizers ( I volunteer )

Location?

Dates?

You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »
Just Bringing this thread back to life.
2018 is our turn
October will be here before we know it.

We need Organizers ( I volunteer )

Location?

Dates?