Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Soda Lake Bypass  (Read 4018 times)

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
Soda Lake Bypass
« on: December 28, 2016, 07:59:16 AM »
At this point a couple friends and I are planning a last minute, couple of days on the Mojave Road this Friday and Sat.  With the recent rains and the chance for more this weekend, I assume crossing Soda Lake is not possible.  I believe the bypass method is to go up to Baker and take the Freeway down to Razor.  Does anyone know of an alternative.  Is there a way to skirt the edge of the lake from Zzyzx and get back on the trail from there?  If we go up to Baker, I see on the map there is an 4x4 path right next to the lake heading north to Baker, is that usable or do you have to use trails/roads back more by Kelbaker Road?

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Soda Lake Bypass
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
Keep in mind, the river might be a little high too. Consider that in your route planning.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »
You can drop in through Afton Canyon and follow the dirt road paralleling the rail road tracks east until you turn north into Jackass Canyon. The canyon meets up with the Mojave Rd.
Isaiah 6:8

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 09:58:14 AM »
Since I have never been, is the river only an issue at the crossing point and does that get deeper or flow through well?  We'll be traveling East to west.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 10:12:25 AM »
Since I have never been, is the river only an issue at the crossing point and does that get deeper or flow through well?  We'll be traveling East to west.

It's an underground aquifer, it can get deep at times but if it gets too deep the water runs off across it's own flood plain. That being said you would be fine crossing it. It's only standing water and isn't moving as it's fed from below. If you have concerns stay to the left or the south as you go through. By hugging that line there is a high point in the crossing to help keep your X up higher. The bottom is solid, just go through slow and try not to make a wake and you will be just fine.
Isaiah 6:8

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
Link for rover depth. Right side is usually more shallow.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=vef&gage=mjrc1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk