Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Cerro Gordo And Salt Trams Trip 2017  (Read 41623 times)

FrankB

Re: Cerro Gordo And Salt Trams Trip 2017
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 06:07:54 PM »
For anyone interested in a bit of SCCX history in this area, here is a thread from the Pictures forum:

http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=767.0

There was also an earlier trip in 2007 (and probably some others) but all those picture threads are gone.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 07:31:21 AM »
For anyone interested in a bit of SCCX history in this area, here is a thread from the Pictures forum:

http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=767.0

There was also an earlier trip in 2007 (and probably some others) but all those picture threads are gone.

That's a great link Frank...wonder how things look "now?"
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 08:29:34 AM »
I was just in Cerro Gordo Thursday night and all day Friday.  Last time I was to the Salt Tram rear lockers would not be needed at all.  I just did going down the backside of Cerro Gordo, up over Hunter Mountain to Tea Kettle Junction then to the Racetrack and over Lippinkott road to the Warm Springs then out through south pass without even remotely needing lockers.

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 10:34:21 AM »
In please.
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 08:18:19 AM »
Get the sign ups going...looks like there might be a race to get on board...myself included!

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
It sounds like a really stupid waste-of-time trip.  I don't think you will find anyone willing to go, let alone fill up some quota.

But just in case... sign me up on the down low ;)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »
In for now...although work will be ramping up and I expect to be "in the mix."

Thanks for arranging Tony... :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Additional Information for Cerro Gordo And Salt Trams Trip 2017
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Be sure to read and follow the SCCX Xcursion Guidelines.  In addition, here are a few of mine for this trip:
A)   Rig requirements:
1)   Good clearance, or thick skid plates (having both is preferred)
2)   In generally good mechanical order
3)   Good recovery points front and rear – in case we need to drag your mall-crawler chassis over some rock outcrops (see item #1)
4)   Communications of some variety, in descending order of preference – ham VHF, FRS, CB, horn, whistle, smoke signal, sign language
B)   Driver requirements:
1)   Good attitude, especially when A3 is occurring
2)   Generally self-sufficient
3)   No whiners
C)   Navigator/passenger requirements – driver’s responsibility:
1)   Good attitude, and definitely when A3 is occurring
2)   Generally self-sufficient
3)   No whiners
The current plan is as follows:  Saturday we will be travelling from Swansea up to our first camping site.  This is the reverse, or tougher, way as gravity won’t be helping rigs get down ledges or obstacles (if there are any). It shouldn’t be too difficult, but it is a gain of 6,000 feet in less than ten miles (~15 road miles).  We will NOT be hard-charging this trip.  Saturday will be devoted to getting to the crest of the Inyo Mountains and finding the ideal camping site.  If we depart Swansea by 1000 I expect we will be in camp by 1400, if not sooner.  There will be plenty of time to stop for pictures, check out the geology, and be amazed at the ingenuity and determination of the folks that built the salt tram.  We will be surrounded by “wilderness” and there are lots of hiking and exploring opportunities.  Just watch out for light-headedness, over-exertion, dehydration, and other signs of altitude sickness.  Sunday will be a drive along the crest south to the salt trams (~7 road miles) where we can spend a couple of hours exploring and having lunch.  Then it is on down the road (~7 more road miles) to Cerro Gordo ghost town.  Note that the crest trail is a shelf road in many places, and can cause severe (even debilitating) sphincter contractions.  Those with weak dispositions should be medicated or blindfolded and muffled.  We will camp east of the ghost town Sunday night.  Monday, we will explore the town for a couple of hours, and then head back to pavement and home.  The last section of dirt road from Cerro Gordo down to Hwy 136 is ~6 road miles long, but you drop almost a mile in elevation as well.
Location information:  http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recarea/?recid=21880
Friday night accommodations – you are on your own.  I am staying in Lone Pine at the Comfort Inn.  If you are in the vicinity and want to meet up for dinner, that would be great.  Rooms are going fast, as it is Memorial Weekend.  Alternatively, you could get up early on Saturday and drive directly from home to the trail head meeting at 0900.
Please post your number of persons/vehicles and send me a confirmation PM.  Also note what type of comms you have or intend to use on the trip.  I will be putting together a comm plan.  There will be no name tags.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Official Sign-up Page for Cerro Gordo And Salt Trams Trip 2017
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 05:05:33 PM »
Here is the current trip roster and waiting list.  I expect that, over the course of the next seven months, we will have a couple of people with scheduling conflicts so people will move up from the waiting list.

Currently confirmed attendees:
1)   Sage Bromax
2)   Knightrider + 1
3)   Celt + 2
4)   Sitt + 1
5)   fathead + 2
6)   Jayrat + 2
7)   SCUBA_Dale + 1
8 )   Lemans aka Fire Ninja +2
9)   JFanaselle + 2
10)   occupantX
11)   CAWoody+1
12)   lutsie + 3
13)   Steve C.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:47:50 AM by Sage Bromax »
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
But what about:

Bug-Man?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Isaiah 6:8

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 07:35:54 PM »
Put me on the wait list.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

occupantX

• 4wd Pts: 65535
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »
Thanks for setting this up Tony! looking forward to this :)
I'll bring biltong
The non-club non-member formerly known as sdcaKLR, 'cause you know..bananas

FrankB

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 08:04:41 PM »
But what about:

Bug-Man?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

This guy is going to show up in pretty much every SCCX thread from now on, isn't he?

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 08:29:22 PM »
Can't wait, should be a hoot, I'll make sure I pack an extra Inhaler
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 09:15:52 PM »