Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Impromptu Dirt Day - Rattlesnake Canyon  (Read 10534 times)

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
Impromptu Dirt Day - Rattlesnake Canyon
« on: September 02, 2016, 09:26:05 AM »
Hey SCCX peeps,

We are going to get on dirt tomorrow, Saturday 09.03.16. 

Time: 9am

Place to meet: Rattlesnake Canyon Road in Johnson Valley

Route: Rattlesnake Canyon Road, Burns Canyon, Jacoby Creek.......

Minimum requirements: CB, 4WD, lunch, recovery equip, desire to have fun in a relaxed atmosphere

We have an International visitor who wants to go OffRoading - who wants to join in?  O0

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
Re: Impromptu Dirt Day - Rattlesnake Canyon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
Reserved

We will be on 2N02 for part of the day - do we need some type of signup sheet for AAT hour requirements?

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
Reserved

We will be on 2N02 for part of the day - do we need some type of signup sheet for AAT hour requirements?

Yes, please download the signup sheet, put everyone that attends on it and count your hours from door to door. You can send it to me or Ranger Greg. If you send it directly to him please let me know the total hours so I can post them up on the AAT website for tracking.
Isaiah 6:8

GreenAcres

• 4wd Pts: 9
    • 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »
I'm tempted, but; my wife had already made b'fast plans with friends in the AM, and it'd be hard to reconcile that with being in Big Bear by 9AM. And, I've got this issue where as soon as I start picking my way along a trail my car starts to overheat. Randy suggested that I should "burp" my system, which I did but doesn't seem to have solved the problem. Maybe more burping is needed.

That said, if we can fiddle our schedule we may figure out a way to join you.

If possible, can you be more specific about where to meet up?

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:21:14 PM »
I'm tempted, but; my wife had already made b'fast plans with friends in the AM, and it'd be hard to reconcile that with being in Big Bear by 9AM. And, I've got this issue where as soon as I start picking my way along a trail my car starts to overheat. Randy suggested that I should "burp" my system, which I did but doesn't seem to have solved the problem. Maybe more burping is needed.

That said, if we can fiddle our schedule we may figure out a way to join you.

If possible, can you be more specific about where to meet up?

Hey Morgan,

Looks like Big Bear is forecasts in the 70's tomorrow.  Does your vehicle overheat to the point you need to stop for awhile?
We are pretty firm about starting at 9 am - 'cuz we like to get as much dirt time as possible.

Below is the coordinates, including Google Map:
The trailhead is here: 34.37008, -116.6508 - or you can use this google link:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/46282-46528+Old+Woman+Springs+Rd,+Landers,+CA+92285/@34.3700882,-116.651074,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x80c4ce54ca2efcd5:0xe79a797c34a24690

:)

Edit - I just realized that google is pointing to a spot just slightly northeast of the actual location. The actual location is the intersection of Rattlesnake Canyon and Highway 247, which you can clearly spot on the map.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:45:23 PM by PainRoller »

GreenAcres

• 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »
PainRoller, starting point noted/understood.

Re the overheating, I've never had to stop, the gauge will approach that angle/separation mark at about the 3/4 point, and will then start to go back down. Kind of cyclical. Driving around under normal conditions, including stop and go street traffic, it's stable at about the 1/3 point.

No worries about the start time, I understand. We'll plan to make it on time!

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:04:56 PM »
Awesome!

We will be there at 9 am (airing down).  I will check this again before 7 am to see if any other last minute roadies.  Also, we will monitor SCCX frequency 146.535

Hope everyone has a fun and safe Labor Day Weekend O0
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:12:04 PM by PainRoller »

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
Yes, please download the signup sheet, put everyone that attends on it and count your hours from door to door. You can send it to me or Ranger Greg. If you send it directly to him please let me know the total hours so I can post them up on the AAT website for tracking.

Celt or BODies - Help!  I can't find the link to the signup sheet.........  ::) ::)

GreenAcres

• 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 09:52:21 PM »
Just re-burped the cooling system, different technique this time, feel much better about the results, car behaving better already. I think I'll be okay :).

See you at 9!

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 10:40:54 PM »
Celt or BODies - Help!  I can't find the link to the signup sheet.........  ::) ::)

PR, sorry I tried to paste the file of it I have on my computer here but it won't go through. I thought, but could be wrong I copied a link on the AAT thread but it doesn't seem to be there. Since the site was re-done I'm still trying to remember and figure out where things are. If you can't get er' done by the time you leave we can re-create it and try to get the e-sign in up and running.
Isaiah 6:8

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »
How was the trip? I've been wanting to do this run again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »
How was the trip? I've been wanting to do this run again.
We had a BLAST!!  8)

Morgan and Angie are awesome Off-Road companions in their Canary Yellow Rig - so glad they joined us today - we will def have to go out together again some time soon :)

Not sure about logging AAT hours - we only picked up a couple of pieces of trash.  2N02 was REALLY CLEAN.  With all the traffic it will see this weekend, I don't know if it will stay that way tho....

In true form, I totally forgot to take ANY pics - I'll have to try and get Cindy  (our companion) to give me some for posting purposes..... ::)

GreenAcres

• 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 10:32:50 PM »
We, just got back!

It was a great day; Rattlesnake was just the right size challenge, and Mike and Barbara were great company and did a great job spotting us through the trickier spots (just to make sure we remained ding-free!).

Then, after sharing a toast to the day, we went off to explore some more of the roads north of BB lake. Got caught up in some mining property trails, I think, they aren't on the map, some of which were more than I wanted to bite off at the end of a long day. Ended up smacking my frame at one point -  surely a result of not having Mike and Barb's said spotting :). But, no harm done, made it through all right.

Can't wait for the next run!

FixItGuy

• 4wd Pts: 7
  • "Always know WHY you do what you do."
    • '09 Xterra
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 10:00:47 AM »
Glad you made it home unscathed  ;D.
Thanks for coming out on such short notice. We'll try to give a little more lead time on the next run.

We're glad Bumper had a good time too.
Solution:  get an eye patch and a parrot, and welcome to the party!!!

GreenAcres

• 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »
Yeah, all good. Indeed job #1 when we got back was to undo the effect of all those "dirt baths" Bumper had so enthusiastically been taking all day long! Then we had to clean the tub  :o. All part of a great day  ;D