Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Firewood Caution  (Read 5197 times)

GreenGoon

• 4wd Pts: 38
    • SAS'd 2000 X
Firewood Caution
« on: October 07, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
County of Los Angeles Fire Department
NEWS RELEASE
PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICE (323) 881-2413
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2015
FIRE CHIEF DARYL L. OSBY
1320 N. Eastern Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90063

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: LACoFD
Public Information Office
(323) 881-2413

Los Angeles County Update  Goldspotted Oak Borer Infestation
Los Angeles County, CA  The Goldspotted Oak Borer (GSOB), an invasive beetle that has killed thousands of oak trees in San Diego, Riverside, and Orange counties since 2004, has now been detected in Los Angeles County. The GSOB was discovered in northern Los Angeles County in the unincorporated community of Green Valley. Because GSOB is transported in oak firewood, it is critical that Californians keep firewood local and not move it out of the area where it was cut.

This new detection of GSOB represents the third long-distance movement of the beetle from its known areas of infestation in San Diego, Riverside, and Orange Counties. It is believed to have made the jump from the current zone of infestation to Los Angeles County through the movement of infested firewood. Any community that has coast live oaks, the most prevalent oak species in Los Angeles County, is vulnerable to a GSOB infestation. Some of the communities that could be impacted include Altadena, Pasadena, Santa Clarita, and Malibu.

The Fire Department, the Department of Agricultural Commissioner/Weights and Measures, and other County Departments are collaborating with University of California Cooperative Extension, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE), and the US Forest Service to develop a response plan for GSOB in Los Angeles County. These infestations can be very costly to control and they have the potential to devastate our oak woodlands, our communities, and individual properties.

The County of Los Angeles and CAL FIRE will continue to coordinate with other agencies, adjacent counties, and other groups monitoring the GSOB in California until the infestation has been mitigated.

Some immediate steps that the public can take to prevent the spread of the GSOB include:
Buy it where you burn it, use firewood from local sources.

Leave firewood at home and do not transport firewood to recreational cabins, campgrounds, or parks.

Go to www.gsob.org to learn more about the GSOB. Inspect cut wood and if infested, refer to www.gsob.org for guidelines on reporting, management, and disposal.

If you suspect a GSOB infestation on your property, please contact the Department's Forestry Division at (323) 890-4330.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 12:05:09 AM by knightrider »
WE6DGR

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: Firewood Caution
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:04:13 AM »
Tom...and idea if this covers retail firewood?  I would assume that is safe?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:28:12 AM »
retail(grocery stores) firewood is almost always pine.  red and white oak is normally pretty expensive.  

most firewood places sell avocado/eucalyptus mix, as its both in abundance due to farmers and residential tree removal.  

normally i will buy a 1/2 cord and it lasts a couple years of camping and cold night fireplace duty.  
avocado is soft and starts easy
eucalyptus is hard and burns hot and long.

best practice if you are buying retail firewood for camping is to buy it close to where you will be burning it, within reason.  i think if you are buying your wood within an hours drive of your destination, it will come from the same place as any place closer to your destination. 

The desert is an exception to this rule imo, no trees to infest and i'm not bringing oak.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:19:21 AM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:57:34 AM »
avocado is soft and starts easy
eucalyptus is hard and burns hot and long.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »
Hey Jordan,
 FYI;  The firewood is always free at my place.  Any time you're by...

PainRoller: If you wern't a girl, I would have to 'moderate' that post >:D

As it is though, pretty darn funny ;D
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
PainRoller: If you wern't a girl, I would have to 'moderate' that post >:D

As it is though, pretty darn funny ;D

GreenGoon

• SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:17:38 PM »
Wood bought by the chord has been part of the problem for spreading the Oak Borer. Wood bought by the pick up truck has been a bigger problem. Though Eucalyptus is probably the most common hardwood sold in Southern California, there is some black oak and live oak that makes its way into the mix. The best thing you can do is buy the wood near where you are going to burn it. The 1 hour rule of thumb may not always work as parts of Riverside County are well within an hour of the Angeles and San Bernardino National forests. Ass Jordan stated, you don't need to worry so much about this when you are camping in the desert. Wood bought in San Diego, Riverside, and Orange County is at risk for spreading the GSOB.
WE6DGR

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 09:42:19 AM »
Wood bought by the chord has been part of the problem for spreading the Oak Borer. Wood bought by the pick up truck has been a bigger problem. Though Eucalyptus is probably the most common hardwood sold in Southern California, there is some black oak and live oak that makes its way into the mix. The best thing you can do is buy the wood near where you are going to burn it. The 1 hour rule of thumb may not always work as parts of Riverside County are well within an hour of the Angeles and San Bernardino National forests. Ass Jordan stated, you don't need to worry so much about this when you are camping in the desert. Wood bought in San Diego, Riverside, and Orange County is at risk for spreading the GSOB.

While this is all great information, I think it's a little harsh to call Jordan and A$$. He's only trying to help clarify things. ;D ;D
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

GreenGoon

• SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »
Ha! Oops, nice catch Tim!  :-X I meant As
WE6DGR

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »
It's kinda true though so no hard feelings :)

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit