Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Last minute Test Run to Santiago Peak  (Read 4339 times)

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
Last minute Test Run to Santiago Peak
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:32:15 AM »
Since I got he new tires I want to try them out.  If anybody want to join me, I plan on hitting the trail from the Silverado side around 9:00 am Sunday, and go straight to the Ortega Hwy side. I'll be a the Arco Station at Jamboree and Chapman at 8:30 if anybody is interested.  Or call my cell (562)five 0 5 five nine 77.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:34:37 PM by CAWoody »
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
Re: Last minute Test Run to Santiago Peak
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
Nilda and I got plans, but it should be a great day on a fun trail. 
If you haven't already, you might call to make sure the gates are open.  (Fire season or rabid rabbits or whatever.) ;D
Enjoy your new 'shoes'.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 04:39:25 PM »
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229&width=full

Looks like a number of trails are closed/partially open for now. I'd be glad to join if you have another easy trail in mind Woody.

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
Well that just sucks. :'(  I was looking for a quick trip, maybe a couple of hours.  I guess I'll for something next weekend, maybe Lytle Creek.  I'll look in the map book and find an easy trail for next weekend.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Grimx

• 4wd Pts: 7
Re:
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:24:10 PM »
I'd be game for a quick trip next week. If its quick. I still work at 4pm on weekends

(Sir)JohnOfFullerton

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »
I talked to the ranger at one of the districts and she said the gates will likely be closed for the rest of the year, at least.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 07:48:26 AM »
Yeah, this is the norm for the Cleveland National Forest. When I lived in Lake Elsinore, we would run up to Santiago all the time on a spur of the moment decision with nothing better to do. They shut down most of the roads up there during fire season, and again when the weather gets really bad during the late winter. There's really only a few months of the year that the area can be accessed.

Best to always keep an eye on the "current conditions" areas of the forest service websites, like Alex did, or call the ranger station/visit the ranger station in person, like Sir John of Fullerton did. Keeps you from unexpectedly running up on a locked gate and ruining your day, especially if you came from far away.