Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Mojave Preserve - May 16th and 17th  (Read 15456 times)

Motorpig77

• 4wd Pts: 31
Re: Mojave Preserve - May 16th and 17th
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 01:07:25 AM »
I've got quite a bit left, but I'll have the whole family on this trip, with that said, I'll load as much as I can! A raging fire is the goal!

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »
Ok guys, we're less than a week away from departure for this trip, and we need to figure out the food situation.

I have a big two pound pack of applewood smoked bacon left over from the Mojave Road trip that I can bring for Saturday morning breakfast. Unfortunately, I have a very small griddle that can only cook a few pieces at a time.

We basically need to figure out the Saturday night dinner situation, and Sunday morning breakfast situation. All other meals will be up to everyone as individuals to provide for themselves on the trail or before/after the trip. If everyone wants to do their own individual meals for Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast too, that's fine. But we need to make some decisions quick, as this trip is rapidly approaching.

I suggest we start by finding out what everyone has for cooking equipment so we can decide what type of food we could/should cook. I have a Primus combination camp grill/one burner camp stove. It's capable of cooking about 6 burgers at a time, and can have a pot of beans or something on the burner side, as an example. For breakfasts, I have a skillet for the burner side and a small griddle for the grill side, which is capable of cooking a pancake or two at a time, or a few strips of bacon at a time.

I'm open for meal suggestions, but since we have such a small group, I think we need to really coordinate who is bringing what, so we make sure we have some good eats between all of us.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:23:00 PM by JFanaselle »

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 08:26:49 PM »
You can use my cast iron griddle if you want for this trip. All you would need is a few flat rocks to set it up on and some coals below or a small backpacking stove. The griddle is big enough to handle that bacon or 6 large burgers.
Isaiah 6:8

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »
Thanks for the offer Celt. I hit you up via text, but I think we're going to pass.

Based on lack of enthusiasm (lol), I think I'm going to make the decision that this trip is an "every individual for themselves" type eating session. My cousin and I will go in on a little something for ourselves and our wives, and I know Motorpig77 is bringing the whole fam (and was originally thinking of doing this trip with just them), so he's probably got something worked out for all of them as well.

So it's official - everyone be prepared to make your own meals, breakfast lunch and dinner. As a reminder, we'll hit the road late Saturday morning and be back at the Interstate by mid-afternoon Sunday, so you're looking at two lunches, a dinner and a breakfast on the trail/in camp.

Additionally, I'll use this post to remind everyone coming along on this trip that you must have at least CB comms to participate. Be prepared to air your tires back up if you choose to air down (have a compressor with you), and be sure to bring plenty of water (one gallon per person in your vehicle per day. Me + Wife + Son x 2 days = 6 gallons for us minimum).

At this point, the forecast is calling for light rain showers in the area on Thursday and into Friday, so we could see a relief from the dust. Temperatures will be moderate to warm, and we will not be camping at a high elevation so I would expect to be trying to stay cool more than trying to stay warm. That being said, as has been said on other desert trips, it's the desert and conditions vary widely and change fast, so please be prepared for anything from rain to cold to extreme heat, and pack accordingly.

As a little teaser - here's a sneak peek at a few of the places we're going to visit on this trip:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:06:38 PM by JFanaselle »

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 06:59:34 PM »
Looks like I won't be able to make this, I have to go up to LA this Saturday for mandatory training. :( 2 epic Mojave trips I'm going to miss.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Motorpig77

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »
I think you had the best idea for the food situation Joe.  We're only going to have to worry about three, maybe four meals on the trail. 

What time do you expect to be off trail and back in the inland empire area Sunday? Trying to decide if I should plan to go to work late that night or if we'll be back in time.  Thanks!

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re:
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2015, 10:32:25 PM »
Looks like I won't be able to make this, I have to go up to LA this Saturday for mandatory training. :( 2 epic Mojave trips I'm going to miss.

Sucks man. Work sucks, but I guess that's why they have to pay us to go, right?! OP updated to reflect one open spot.

What time do you expect to be off trail and back in the inland empire area Sunday? Trying to decide if I should plan to go to work late that night or if we'll be back in time.

To be honest Clint, you're the one I was worried about since I know you're supposed to work on Sunday evening. We can spend as little or as much time as we want out there on Sunday based on when you need to get back. If we break camp around 8:00 am or so, we'll have plenty of time to go check out the evening star mine and see at least one or two of the abandoned sites beyoned. I was planning on getting back to the pavement and aired back up between about noon and 13:00. It's probably about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive home from there, so that's cutting it close for you. We can do a few different things... we can break the group into two from the evening star mine - one group can head back to the pavement from there and head home and the other can head further east into the mining district (I know at least my cousin would stay with me if everyone else wanted to go home), or we can just check out a couple of sites and depart as a group nice and early in the day still, or (if you manage to get the night off) we can spend more time out there checking everything out and leave whenever we want. It's up to you buddy, just let me know what works best.

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 10:43:41 PM »
I might have to be home by Sunday afternoon sometime as well, so I could join the early group.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:58:48 PM by Alex »

Motorpig77

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 06:40:21 AM »
I don't have to be at work till 9pm so that schedule works great! Perfect!

scott307

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »
Looks like there will not likely be an opening, but can you put me on the stand-by list?
Scott - KK6UGK

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
my spot opened up so your good
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2015, 08:49:29 AM »
I don't have to be at work till 9pm so that schedule works great! Perfect!

Great!

Looks like there will not likely be an opening, but can you put me on the stand-by list?

Yes, knightrider won't be able to make it so you just filled his spot. :) OP has been updated to reflect this change. Do you have at least a CB for communications? Also, please PM me your phone number and I'll add it to my phone. I'll shoot you a text with mine as well. Thanks!

Edit - just checked out your build thread in the Display Case and saw that you're running a Cobra 29, so you're good to go!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:54:14 AM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
Alright group, here's some more info regarding meet-up and what to expect on the trip:

We will meet up as a group in the dirt RV/Truck parking lot across the street from the World's Tallest Thermometer located at 72155 Baker Blvd, Baker, CA 92309. The meet-up time will be at 9:30 am at the latest, please don't be late! Please arrive in Baker early enough to gas up and get whatever else you need before we meet. There are many gas stations with small markets, but no grocery stores or department stores. Ice, beer, gas, etc shouldn't be a problem. My family and I will arrive in town a little early and will probably have breakfast at the Bob's Big Boy restaurant next to the thermometer before we all meet up.

According to my calculations, our total mileage from Baker through the preserve and back to Baker again should be just over 100 miles. Therefore, we should be more than ok with a single tank of fuel. That being said, I will still be bringing some emergency fuel just in case.

As previously stated, we will take Kelbaker Road into the preserve, stopping at some petroglyphs and then on to the Lava Tubes. We'll air down at Kelbaker Road and Aiken Mine Road just before hitting the dirt, and will be driving mostly dirt for the remainder of the day with a few small bursts of pavement. We'll take (paved) Cima Road back up to our camp site for the night, which will be our longest drive on the pavement while aired down (about 6 miles on pavement).

On day two, I'd like to break camp by 8:30 or so and hit the road. We won't cover nearly as much ground, but will spend a good amount of time stopping at various old building sites to explore. We'll likely be back at the pavement and airing back up before 1:00 pm at the latest, and it's about a 40 minute drive back into Baker from there to fuel back up. My goal is to be back home to the Temecula area between 4:00 and 5:00 pm.

GreenGoon

• 4wd Pts: 38
    • SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2015, 03:07:53 PM »
I'm out. I have to leave town for work.
WE6DGR

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
I'm out. I have to leave town for work.

OP updated. We have an opening if anyone else is interested in coming out.