Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego - November Overnight  (Read 5123 times)

FrankB

Anza Borrego - November Overnight
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:40:02 PM »
These are actually a couple of months old by now, but I'm just getting around to posting.  A couple of friends and I went out to Anza Borrego in late November for an overnight photography trip.  Here are a few pictures.

That big shadow in the middle of the next shot is one of trucks, cast by the one Coleman lantern we had going. You can make out the hi-lift jack on the swing-away tire carrier.  No campfire this time.

Our camp spot was very flat but the fisheye lens I used for the next shot adds a lot of distortion. It does get all three Xterras in the shot, however.

The next day, heading north in Fault Wash.

Really nice sky outside of Santa Ysabel on the way home.  A few minutes later, when I had no place scenic to pull over, the whole sky turned to a tangerine sort of orange and stayed like that all the way to Ramona.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Anza Borrego - November Overnight
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:56:27 AM »
Beautiful photos! I really like the one with the vehicle shadows against the rock face and the very dark sky. May I ask how you obtained that one? I'm quite the photo buff myself, and can't imagine how you exposed both the lit rock-face and the dark sky/stars perfectly.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »
Awesome Pictures,Makes me want to go camping right NOW
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

FrankB

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:22 PM »
Beautiful photos! I really like the one with the vehicle shadows against the rock face and the very dark sky. May I ask how you obtained that one? I'm quite the photo buff myself, and can't imagine how you exposed both the lit rock-face and the dark sky/stars perfectly.

I had to go back and look to see if I did anything with that shot on the computer.  Turns out not really.  This was a 30-second exposure, at f/2.8 and ISO 1,000, so that is how you get the sky/stars.  Normally for a long exposure of something lit, like city skyline, I would use a low ISO and a stopped-down aperture, but if you do that you won't get the stars.  I probably focused manually at infinity, but the lens was 14mm on an APS-C sized sensor (Fuji XT-1) and I was far enough away from the rock wall that it was in focus even at f/2.8.  If you look closely you can see that 30 seconds is really about 10 too many for star shots, as they come out short lines not pinpoints.

The only light on the rock wall was coming from a single Coleman lantern that was a long way away, so I guess it just sort of balanced out.  Standing there it did not look really bright, but the shadow of the Xterra was very noticeable.  I did not adjust the exposure in post processing at all.  I actually don't have any true picture editing software, just a 4-year old version of Apple's Aperture, which is really a cataloging software with a bit of minor editing ability.  I don't shoot in RAW, just JPG (and yes, I know what that means, but don't care).  I did boost what Apple calls Definition some (I think Lightroom calls it Clarity or micro-contrast).  Also added a bit of sharpening.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »
Ah, that's what threw me off - the small amount of light being used to illuminate the cliff. I figured you were using a 20-30 second exposure with a 2.8-ish aperature, just couldn't understand why the light against the cliff wasn't blowing out the view of the sky with that long of an exposure. Like I said, amazing photos. :)

Duke562(rmaligie)

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:15:58 PM »
Looks great frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk