Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Camp Shower  (Read 18864 times)

Motorpig77

• 4wd Pts: 31
Re: Camp Shower
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:24 AM »
You can do gravity, but the air line connectors i used for the system need pressure to get water flowing.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 07:35:52 PM »
Even if the unit is pressurized, you still need to make sure the water line is above the outlet or else you'll just be showering in air
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Motorpig77

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »
Knightrider, that is exactly why there are two outlets, one on each side.  The first one I made only had one, it was a pain in the @$$ moving the truck just to get some water!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 10:15:58 AM »
So...I finally pulled the trigger on a nice solar shower, and also a bamboo floor insert.  I will be tracking down the infamous Ozark Trail privy at my nearest Wally World...all in preparation for our anniversary trip to Zion coming up in early June.

Thanks for all the input guys!!  I really liked pressurized water system Clint on TMR...came in very handy with the dishwashing station.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

glamisdude72000

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »
Congrats on the solar shower!

I had built one like motorpig has but mine was continuously plagued with small leaks that I got tired of fixing... It worked well when it worked but other than that, it was kind of a pain. Filling was the biggest issue for me, it wasn't bad if filling from a hose, but lifting a jerry can up there to fill sucked for a smaller guy like me. I cut my losses that it and built a new setup that works awesome and is easily moveable to other vehicles/ standalone.

Here is the how to: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59357-Tyler-s-Shower-Build

The sprayer used in the guide was discontinued, this one works, and is the one I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHO8IG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only minor mods needed to be made to the bug sprayer pump (extending the pickup, using bigger hose, and adding a ball valve with quick disconnect).
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t507/glamisdude72000/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150319_111915_zpsi78tatmz.jpg
Camp Shower

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t507/glamisdude72000/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150319_111931_zps3enydxae.jpg
Camp Shower

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t507/glamisdude72000/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150319_112037_zps4i4tgjcy.jpg
Camp Shower

Motorpig77

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 10:51:10 PM »
So...I finally pulled the trigger on a nice solar shower, and also a bamboo floor insert.  I will be tracking down the infamous Ozark Trail privy at my nearest Wally World...all in preparation for our anniversary trip to Zion coming up in early June.

Thanks for all the input guys!!  I really liked pressurized water system Clint on TMR...came in very handy with the dishwashing station.

Ive used mine many times! It really changes the game when you have some water pressure! :)  Let me know if you need any help!

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »
That's a nice looking sprayer, Glamisdude. How is the pressure? Is it good enough to spray mud off of boots, for example?

I, too, built a Motorpig-type setup and fell victim to small leaks. Through trial and error, I have spent well in excess of $150 on it, and I'm still not super happy with it. My most current version actually does work very well and has a lot of pressure. However, I am still experiencing some small leaks that only pop up when it's pressurized, so I leave it full of water and un-pressurized until ready to use. The one I made runs the lenght of my roof rack between my home-made cross bars, which is just short of 40" total. Unfortunately, this equates to just about 1.3 gallons of water.

Now, with my new roof rack on the way, I'm faced with a dilema: do I go spend about another $60 or so at Lowe's on more pipe and fittings that will work with the new rack, and build a new one using the knowledge I've gained from my first few attempts? Or do I just buy a commercial solution that would work?

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but I stumbled upon it at the Bass Pro store a few weeks ago. It's called the Rinse Kit, and is a relatively new product. It only has two reviews on Amazon, but they're both 5 stars. It gets it's pressure from being filled by a pressurized water source. This means there is no pumping or batteries, but it also means you can't refill it in the field with a jerry can. According to their website, the company will be offering a "field fill kit" soon, which will allow the unit to be filled with water bottles and pressurized with an air source such as a bike pump. At only $89 and holding a full two gallons, it's a much nicer option than the Road Shower in my opinion (which is $300).

Check it out: http://www.rinsekit.com/

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 01:00:44 AM »
That Rinse Kit looks ok for it's applications in an urban environment for washing off the kids at the beach so you don't get sand in your BMW. For a long trip off roading, I don't think it would fit the bill. With 4 or so minutes of water on a full charge and a limited supply of water I just don't think it would do the trick. After reviewing the video it looks like you need a pressurized faucet to fill it and it's going to take up a lot of room. Not much bang for the buck. In the end a solar shower would probably suit you much better. Some of them have solar heating panels on them and are 5 gallon capacity. When they empty out they compress flat so they would be easy to store rather than a large plastic box taking up space. If you have a water source you can re-fill them and you are good to go.

In the end many of us are looking for something to make our wives/girlfriends more comfortable. The ultimate goal is to get them out on these trips with us in relative comfort. I learned a long time ago that a small bag of baby wipes will work as a great shower every couple of days and is a lot easier to pack than water. I'm a guy and that doesn't always work with the ladies. A setup like Motorpig or JFAinslie has is a really nice idea as is the 5 gallon solar shower. Keeping it simple and improving on simplicity or even something pulling double duty applications is what I'm all about.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:03:20 AM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

Motorpig77

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 07:29:30 AM »
You guys who are experiencing the small leaks... I can help!!! In total, I've probably spent two hundred dollars between the three that I've built and then modified and had to rebuild! My current one is leak free... Even when pressurized! I am more than happy to help you guys if you want to make a similar system, just let me know

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re:
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 07:46:41 AM »
Ehem......
....write-up......
.....ehem...

glamisdude72000

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 09:47:07 AM »
That's a nice looking sprayer, Glamisdude. How is the pressure? Is it good enough to spray mud off of boots, for example?

With the current sprayer nozzle I have on there the pressure would probably be a bit to low to spray off mud. Although, I really haven't tested max spraying pressure as only about 6 pumps are needed before it reaches acceptable shower pressure. I feel like it will never match the pressure given by the motorpig style but for pretty much all other needs its perfect.

scott307

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »
Anyone use one of these? [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

$89 at North County Yamaha - Holds 2 gallons of hot or cold water and is pressurized. Looks pretty cool.
Scott - KK6UGK

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »
Yeah that's the one I commented on a few posts up.

Advantages: inexpensive, decent capacity, seems to have adequate pressure, portable so it can be moved close to your shower site without having to move your whole car

Disadvantages: large and cumbersome to bring with (especially if you're filling it with water from the campsite. If you're dry camping, it may as well hold two of the gallons you need to bring anyway), cannot be refilled in the field if dry-camping (this is because it requires a pressurized water source, such as a water hose, which is how it gets it's pressure). Supposedly they are going to start selling a "field kit" which will allow you to fill it from water bottles and pressurize it from a compressor or hand pump, but it's not available on their website yet.

scott307

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »
Yeah ... The company said they will have a pump version and a version with a heater that plugs into a cigarette lighter by late this year .... I take a second look at them once that version come out.
Scott - KK6UGK

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
Frontrunner outfitters has this cool retractable arm that mounts to their racks and holds a sunshower.
   we'd be able to carry the full bag on the roof all day then hang it when we get into camp.

......but it's made to work on their roof racks.