Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego - Buttes Pass Area - Nov 2, 2014  (Read 4016 times)

FrankB

Anza Borrego - Buttes Pass Area - Nov 2, 2014
« on: November 04, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »
Heather and I took a drive out to Anza Borrego on Sunday.  The weather was really nice, and it was very quiet with almost no one around.  We saw a whole bunch of built rigs being trailered out of the area as we drove in, but for the most part we had the place pretty much to ourselves.  We wandered around Buttes Pass Road, San Felipe Wash, up Blow Sand Canyon and the Goat Trail, hiked a bit in Hawk Canyon and found a nice spot for lunch in the shade under a tree.

San Felipe Wash was open and fairly smooth, but the track has moved some from where it was in previous years, no big deal really, except that it is tougher to spot the entrance to Blow Sand when you're coming from the west.  Nothing that a u-turn a mile or so later couldn't fix though.

The new Navigation System probably thought I could have used a snorkel however - that blue line represents a river, with the trail track off to the right a bit.

The Goat Trail is in good shape.  The stock Rugged Trails, even aired down, struggled a bit on the last steep stretch to the top, compared to my old BFG A/T's.  I may end up changing tires sooner than originally planned, but I'll give these a few more chances before deciding.

The views from the top were nice, the air was clear.

We found a spot for lunch.

We drove out to the top of the Borrego Mountain Drop-Off in the late afternoon to check out the views north towards the Badlands and the mountains beyond.

There were some great clouds on the way home.

More pics in this gallery:
http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/So-Cal-Explorations-Day/Anza-Borrego-Buttes-Pass-Area/

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re:
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
Very cool!
   I'll be out there this weekend.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: Anza Borrego - Buttes Pass Area - Nov 2, 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
Looks better dusty Frank. Been checking temps...mid eighties!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

FrankB

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
Looks better dusty Frank. . . .

A coating of dust does give it some depth in the photos, you're right.  I'm realizing, too late, that black is a much better color for desert photos.  Silver just doesn't provide the reflections that black does.  Oh well.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 09:17:32 PM »
Getting all packed up. Thanks for posting Frank. I'm planning on spending the day in this area.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:22:06 AM »
Viewing this thread on my laptop has inspired us to bring the DSLR for our short little desert trip next week...and tripod.  Beautiful pics Frank, and I like the silver X, really sharp.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.