Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Desert Find  (Read 4844 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Desert Find
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
In the desert this weekend, and found this:

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae195/DzrtX/Anza%20Borrego%20Geocache%20Trip%20May%202014/5DD75617-8635-44E6-974D-B0087C53B91E.jpg
Desert Find

It was located in a debris field inside the bombing range near a geocache entitled "Shrapnel".  There was what looked like an impact crater as well as a myriad of very lightweight metallic parts, as well as shards of carbon fiber etc. 

Given my limited time around aircraft, I think it is part of a jet's turbo fan...any other "expert" opinions wish to chime in?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »
It could be, I've found shell casings, rockets, bombs, something that looked like Sputnik, most of a tank, and plenty of other cool stuff in the mountains just to the west of that fenced in area.  If you continue north on the road following the railroad tracks, you come to a bridge over a big wash you can drive under, follow that wash in southwestern direction and there are lots to find.  Let me know next time your going to venture that way and I can show you a lot of cool places out there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »
It could be, I've found shell casings, rockets, bombs, something that looked like Sputnik, most of a tank, and plenty of other cool stuff in the mountains just to the west of that fenced in area.  If you continue north on the road following the railroad tracks, you come to a bridge over a big wash you can drive under, follow that wash in southwestern direction and there are lots to find.  Let me know next time your going to venture that way and I can show you a lot of cool places out there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Will do Jordan. 

We saw a couple of targets too, one was a tank and the other was a mobile missile launcher...all south of the railroad tracks and behind a locked gate.

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

LupinOne

• 4wd Pts: 13
Re: Desert Find
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »
Rifling for probably at mortor round or spin stabilized unguided rocket.  Definitely not a jet engine part.
John "LupinOne"
KF6BRF

"Too close for missiles, switching to 4 low..."

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:59:52 PM »
Dinosaur bone 
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:46:01 PM »
Ivory is way more resistive to termites than ebony.
That's why the black keys got ate up with the rest of the piano :)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO