Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: 2wd friendly trail trips  (Read 9657 times)

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
2wd friendly trail trips
« on: March 23, 2016, 10:57:54 PM »
bit embarrassing, but i couldn't find much info but, any trips that are in the planning for this year 2wd friendly?

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: 2wd friendly trail trips
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 11:25:30 PM »
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:54:44 PM »
http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=3439.0

this one is pretty 2wd friendly. :D

damn, talking about going big on my first xcursion. hahahaha

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
Many of the trips planned around here are 2WD friendly. The bigger issue is that overall, there aren't many local trips at all in the planning stages right now, except for one spring Mojave Road trip (already booked up with a waiting list) and one winter Mojave Road trip, and I wouldn't recommend 2WD for those as there are some sandy washes along the western stretches and possibility of mud on the winter trip. So my recommendation would be to plan one yourself! There are quite a few 2WD friendly areas and if you post up your intent, I'm sure you'll get plenty of interest from folks who want to come along. There are many folks willing to step up and lead a small group if you suggest a date and location, as long as it's a familiar trail to them. Cleghorn is 2WD friendly, as is Santiago Peak via any of the routes up there. Those are popular runs that usually generate good interest from the group.

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »
Many of the trips planned around here are 2WD friendly. The bigger issue is that overall, there aren't many local trips at all in the planning stages right now, except for one spring Mojave Road trip (already booked up with a waiting list) and one winter Mojave Road trip, and I wouldn't recommend 2WD for those as there are some sandy washes along the western stretches and possibility of mud on the winter trip. So my recommendation would be to plan one yourself! There are quite a few 2WD friendly areas and if you post up your intent, I'm sure you'll get plenty of interest from folks who want to come along. There are many folks willing to step up and lead a small group if you suggest a date and location, as long as it's a familiar trail to them. Cleghorn is 2WD friendly, as is Santiago Peak via any of the routes up there. Those are popular runs that usually generate good interest from the group.

Agreed. 2wd here and would make a real attempt to make it to any of these smaller day trips that can be done with a mostly stock config.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 10:19:19 AM »
thanks for the great advise n suggestion. I will really considering planning one, but only thing that I might have an issue with is that, it will be my first trail run and Im not sure exactly what is needed for the trip 100%... I might need an experienced trail wheeler that could give me some sort of guide to plan a successful trip.

Agreed. 2wd here and would make a real attempt to make it to any of these smaller day trips that can be done with a mostly stock config.
COOL, glad to know i aint the only 2wd lol. glad to know there is interest.

beedee

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 02:14:37 PM »
Edwin I'm new around here myself, haven't met anyone yet. I picked up my Pro-4X about a month ago.

I would love to meet up and do some easy trails to get the feel for our vehicles. Right now I believe most of the Main Divide in the Santa Anas is still closed (the road you use to traverse across the range and to the peak). I'm hoping to hit Cleghorn next month with a meetup.com off road group. I just came back from Big Bear this weekend and there are plenty of easy and 2wd friendly roads up there. I drove about 10 miles into 2N02 (Burns Canyon) on Saturday and had a blast. there are a couple sections that I used 4x4 in, but a skilled 2wd could probably clean them no problem.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »
Edwin I'm new around here myself, haven't met anyone yet. I picked up my Pro-4X about a month ago.

I would love to meet up and do some easy trails to get the feel for our vehicles. Right now I believe most of the Main Divide in the Santa Anas is still closed (the road you use to traverse across the range and to the peak). I'm hoping to hit Cleghorn next month with a meetup.com off road group. I just came back from Big Bear this weekend and there are plenty of easy and 2wd friendly roads up there. I drove about 10 miles into 2N02 (Burns Canyon) on Saturday and had a blast. there are a couple sections that I used 4x4 in, but a skilled 2wd could probably clean them no problem.

it would be awesome, currently im in the planning a trip.. no details yet but I will post it.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 02:35:06 PM »
thanks for the great advise n suggestion. I will really considering planning one, but only thing that I might have an issue with is that, it will be my first trail run and Im not sure exactly what is needed for the trip 100%... I might need an experienced trail wheeler that could give me some sort of guide to plan a successful trip.

When you're ready to do it, post up something at least a couple weeks in advance that has your desired date and ask for some help to plan and lead the trip. So something along the lines of a new thread that says:

"I'd like to take a run up to (insert any location) on (insert any date), but this will be my first Xcursion and I and could sure use a little help. Is anyone free to help me plan this, and is there anyone familiar with the trail that would want to lead myself and maybe a small group?"

A lot of folks around here are excited to help people new to the group get a better understanding of what their rigs are capable of, but leading a group of inexperienced off-roaders can also be like herding cats and no one wants to ruin anyone's day, so a nice easy trip is always a good idea to start with. Like I said, Cleghorn (in the San Bernardino National Forest) and the roads up to Santiago Peak (in the Cleveland National Forest) are basically dirt fire roads with little to no technical ability required to drive them. The cool thing about Cleghorn is that it's got a ton of little off-chutes that allow you to test your ability even further if you want, but you can also stay on the main road and enjoy the views while you watch everyone else be crazy.

So you just need the ability to rally up a few people who are interested in going on a trip, set a date, and find someone who is willing to take a leadership role for the day and show everyone the ropes. Good thing is that there are quite a few folks around here that are willing to do that. :) Another great way to get the ball rolling on that is to show up at a foot meet and greet (there are now three of these a month - one in SD, one in OC and one in the High Desert) or show up at a mod day and get to know a few people and let them get to know you. Usually, all you have to do around here is say "dang, I really want to go hit the dirt" and you'll have a half dozen people ready to join you! :)

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 02:41:37 PM »
Oh, and one more thing to add... communication is an absolutely necessity to for group runs, especially if it's your first time on the trail. So I would highly recommend that you at the very minimum pick up a handheld CB radio that would allow you to talk to the rest of the group. Once you really get yourself into the hobby, you can upgrade your communications setup. Most folks run at least a mobile CB mounted in their rig with a good external antenna, but most of the more dedicated folks around here are upgrading to Ham Radio lately. ham Radio requires studying for and testing to receive a license (along with a very small fee, I think it's like $28 for 10 years), but the studying and testing is actually quite simple and can be done pretty quickly using free online study guides.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 02:47:32 PM »
We ran up at Rowher Flats a few weeks ago and the main trail is 2wd friendly, Alex ran it just fine with us.  We hit one offshoot that was a little steep and has perfectly able to keep up.  Cleghorn is about the same, as are many of the parks.  Alex also had a little fun with me in the little rock park that's at Rowher Flats, too. 
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 10:35:10 PM »
For Edwin and CVX..I'll gladly join up as mines only 2wd and n it heavily modified like most of the guys here. So I'm up for whenever on a weekend. I do know Palomar is a great beginner one. Only off road ice done is on miramar and camp Pendleton. So let me know.

beedee

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
it would be awesome, currently im in the planning a trip.. no details yet but I will post it.

Sounds good man!

FrankB

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
Depending on how far you want to drive, there are lots of scenic 2WD-friendly routes in San Diego County.  I'll list a few here, and feel free to ask if want more specifics.  Some of these are great all year, while others (like Anza Borrego) are not any fun at all in the heat of summer.

Anza Borrego - Blair Valley:  Pretty much all of Blair Valley is accessible to a 2WD Xterra.  Look back through the Excursion Pictures if you want to see what's out there.

Anza Borrego - Mine Wash:  Mine Wash is quite scenic and can easily be done in 2WD all the way to the end.  It's off of CA-78.

Anza Borrego - Clark Dry Lake:  You can easily drive at least 10 miles up the trail that starts at Clark Dry Lake heading north off of S-22.

Anza Borrego - Buttes Pass Road area:  There are a bunch of trails around here that you can do in 2WD. Some soft sand in places so use caution.  An air compressor is handy so that you can air down, which will make a huge difference.

Anza Borrego - Fish Creek:  You can generally get to at least the Wind Caves in Fish Creek with no problems at all in 2WD, and I've seen good drivers get a 2WD Xterra all the way to the far end of Sandstone Canyon.  I've not been out there in a while, so not sure what the current conditions are.  It's a long walk back from Sandstone to the pavement, so probably best to not do that one alone if you're in 2WD, unless you are confident in self-recovery.

Cleveland NF - Palomar Divide Road:  It's been a while since I've been up there, but I got quite a ways in an old 2WD Datsun pickup years ago.  It's a narrow one-lane shelf in spots, but should be fine in 2WD.  I think the Forest Service keeps that one graded, you can check with them.  If the weather looks threatening they often lock the gate though.

East of San Diego - Boulder Creek Road:  A graded fire road with really nice views, runs from near Descanso up to near Julian.

Cleveland NF East of San Diego - The one-lane shelf (paved) up to the Los Pinos Fire Lookout, and then go back down the same way, then circle the Corral Canyon OHV Area on Corral Canyon Road.  Note that the trails in the OHV area are 4WD, and some are too narrow for an Xterra. Note also that unless the Forest Service has done some major work, Espinosa Trail is 4WD with, at a minimum, good AT tires.

East of San Diego - Pine Creek Road:  The route is actually more or less paved the whole way, but this is a really scenic one-lane forest service road that runs north from Old US 80 just west of Pine Valley, and goes up to a saddle and over into the Laguna Mountains Rec Area, ending up at Sunrise Highway.

There are a couple of books by Tony Huegel that are very helpful for finding easy but scenic trails.  They each cover the whole State.  California Coastal Byways and California Desert Byways. Some of the trails he describes do require 4WD, but a lot of them just need driving skill, good AT tires and some ground clearance.

Disclaimer: I've done all of these, but in a 4WD Xterra, although not always in 4WD.  That said, you're on your own.  Trails can change quickly, and what might have been 2WD-friendly in the past might now be really soft sand or full of rocks.  Use common sense and know when to turn around.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:20:43 PM by FrankB »

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »
Depending on how far you want to drive, there are lots of scenic 2WD-friendly routes in San Diego County.  I'll list a few here, and feel free to ask if want more specifics.  Some of these are great all year, while others (like Anza Borrego) are not any fun at all in the heat of summer.

Anza Borrego - Blair Valley:  Pretty much all of Blair Valley is accessible to a 2WD Xterra.  Look back through the Excursion Pictures if you want to see what's out there.

Anza Borrego - Mine Wash:  Mine Wash is quite scenic and can easily be done in 2WD all the way to the end.  It's off of CA-78.

Anza Borrego - Clark Dry Lake:  You can easily drive at least 10 miles up the trail that starts at Clark Dry Lake heading north off of S-22.

Anza Borrego - Buttes Pass Road area:  There are a bunch of trails around here that you can do in 2WD. Some soft sand in places so use caution.  An air compressor is handy so that you can air down, which will make a huge difference.

Anza Borrego - Fish Creek:  You can generally get to at least the Wind Caves in Fish Creek with no problems at all in 2WD, and I've seen good drivers get a 2WD Xterra all the way to the far end of Sandstone Canyon.  I've not been out there in a while, so not sure what the current conditions are.  It's a long walk back from Sandstone to the pavement, so probably best to not do that one alone if you're in 2WD, unless you are confident in self-recovery.

Cleveland NF - Palomar Divide Road:  It's been a while since I've been up there, but I got quite a ways in an old 2WD Datsun pickup years ago.  It's a narrow one-lane shelf in spots, but should be fine in 2WD.  I think the Forest Service keeps that one graded, you can check with them.  If the weather looks threatening they often lock the gate though.

East of San Diego - Boulder Creek Road:  A graded fire road with really nice views, runs from near Descanso up to near Julian.

Cleveland NF East of San Diego - The one-lane shelf (paved) up to the Los Pinos Fire Lookout, and then go back down the same way, then circle the Corral Canyon OHV Area on Corral Canyon Road.  Note that the trails in the OHV area are 4WD, and some are too narrow for an Xterra. Note also that unless the Forest Service has done some major work, Espinosa Trail is 4WD with, at a minimum, good AT tires.

East of San Diego - Pine Creek Road:  The route is actually more or less paved the whole way, but this is a really scenic one-lane forest service road that runs north from Old US 80 just west of Pine Valley, and goes up to a saddle and over into the Laguna Mountains Rec Area, ending up at Sunrise Highway.

There are a couple of books by Tony Huegel that are very helpful for finding easy but scenic trails.  They each cover the whole State.  California Coastal Byways and California Desert Byways. Some of the trails he describes do require 4WD, but a lot of them just need driving skill, good AT tires and some ground clearance.

Disclaimer: I've done all of these, but in a 4WD Xterra, although not always in 4WD.  That said, you're on your own.  Trails can change quickly, and what might have been 2WD-friendly in the past might now be really soft sand or full of rocks.  Use common sense and know when to turn around.

now i have an excuse to go to SD now haha..

Well i been talking around and looks like Trabuco trail @ lake forest is a good trail to start off. I will be arranging a 1 day trip in a few weeks or if not a month or so... Just really want to make sure I service my X through for the fact i bought it used and I dont want any surprises. what do you guys think?