Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Cleghorn Road April 10  (Read 23065 times)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Cleghorn Road April 10
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 09:27:34 PM »
I would love to join but abit overwhelmed that my X is capable.  Stock suspension on passenger tires...
I second what Tom said, you can stay on the main road and have no issues. I'd even be willing to bet you could attempt some side chutes. The X is very capable.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 09:46:10 PM »
And this is for this coming Sunday?!

Duh I can't read sometimes after looking at a computer screen all day. It's after mod day. Might join
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:07:28 PM by valentin36 »

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »
And this is for this coming Sunday?!

The Sunday after this coming Sunday. April 10th.

beedee

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »
I have a few extremely NOOB questions since this will be my first real off-road excursion with a group of fellow off-roaders.

1. Airing down, is it 100% necessary for this run? If so, how long does it take? How long does putting the air back in take? What is the ideal PSI to air-down to? I don't own a compressor, eventually I  will purchase one.

2. Once off the pavement, for those of us with 4x4, when is a good time to engage it? I understand that this is 2wd friendly, but I want to use my 4x4 capabilities. I know that 4H is good up to 62mph and 4L is good up to 31mph (IIRC?) Which mode would be better for most of the trail? I experimented a bit with 4H and 4L when I drove on 2N02 in Big Bear last weekend.

3. For those of us with automatic transmissions, which gear should we be in for most of the trail?

4. What basic necessities should we have? I plan on buying a receiver hitch with a d'ring, a recovery strap and a shovel. I know there has been talk of CB's above. I do plan on bringing some snacks and waters/gatorades in a cooler. Basic first-aid stuff, etc.

GreenGoon

• 4wd Pts: 38
    • SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
1. Airing down is not 100% necessary for Cleghorn but it will make your ride off pavement much more comfortable and if you want to actually test your capabilities, it will dramatically improve your traction. Airing down just takes a few minutes, several guys have tire deflators such as Stauns. Or if you want to be old school you can just get a valve stem remover and a tire pressure gauge. A quality pressure gauge is a good tool to have regardless, that would be good to get from your local auto parts store today. The time it takes to air back up depends on the compressor you have and the amount you aired down. I think a lot of the guys only air down to around 20 on Cleghorn, I usually go down to 15 or 12. This is the compressor that I have http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-Portable-Compressor-Volume/dp/B00J5OQDAS?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ENM48AHFXR7GCHEZQGZ&ref_=pd_ybh_a_20 It's bulky, but it's cheap and fast. It takes me a little over 10 minutes to get my tires aired back to 35 psi.

2. You only need 4wd for the obstacles. I stay in 2wd most of the trail and change into 4H or 4L depending on the difficulty of the obstacle that I am on. You DO NOT want to cruise around in 4L all day.

3. Stay in D most of the trail. 4L L is for the most difficult obstacles, it gives you more control on hills (up and down).

4. http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=212.0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:43:21 PM by GreenGoon »
WE6DGR

beedee

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »
^ Thanks GG!

ghenderson21

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2012 Super Black S
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 01:17:52 PM »
Just realized I never tried out my duratracs off road!!! May have to join in for this one.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
Just realized I never tried out my duratracs off road!!! May have to join in for this one.
Do et!
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

ghenderson21

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2012 Super Black S
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »
Do et!

Need to get some comms accomplished, very least some CB love. Might be able to swing the mod day too!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »
Everything Tom said above (excellent post) and common sense as your copilot.

Also, if you get into a uncomfortable situation call out for a spot. Outside perspectives make obstacles much more palatable.

What you feel inside vs. actual attitude of your vehicle varies greatly.

Great questions...ALWAYS better to ask and be confident in the dirt.

Finally, IME the Viair 90 is an excellent first compressor.

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
wow great info.. well im convinced, count me in. I have enough time to pick up a cb radio.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 09:44:54 AM »
Was reading thru a "checklist' of things before going to small trip or excursions and one of them was to make sure I have both front and rear recovery points. My X didnt come with a rear hitch, i only have the factory tow hook in the front. Since I will be taking the fire road ( mostly) should I worry about not having a hitch as the rear recovery point?

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
I will see I can go. I don't mind taking the 2wd group. Just depend on when I get back from my race in SD on Saturday.

We can do some basic spotting training.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
Was reading thru a "checklist' of things before going to small trip or excursions and one of them was to make sure I have both front and rear recovery points. My X didnt come with a rear hitch, i only have the factory tow hook in the front. Since I will be taking the fire road ( mostly) should I worry about not having a hitch as the rear recovery point?
No worries for this trip.  When you come out just ask and see what everyone else has.  You will get a good idea of what you need where.  The idea is to become self sufficient over time.  This way you don't become 'That Guy' lol
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
gotcha! cool to know... all i am missing is a cb radio and im good to go.