Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: New Years run  (Read 17019 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: New Years run
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2015, 01:12:35 AM »
Ooh, interesting. I might be in for this, but gotta check with a friend to make sure I have company,  besides  you all. I need a camping cuddle buddy and don't know any of you yet lol!  Would possibly be including at least 1 of my 2 pups:  A big, stupid doberman but he loves everyone and is pretty obedient...he refuses to stay in his harness but that's just because he's a "free spirit," not that he escapes for malicious purposes haha

If you are able to go please post so ASAP so I can get a final head count. Make sure the dog is comfortable with fireworks because in those areas there are a lot of them going off all over the place and I wouldn't want the dog to get scared and run off into the desert at night getting lost in those washes.
Isaiah 6:8

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2015, 12:45:30 PM »
Celt, where are you planning on camping?
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2015, 01:45:36 PM »
We are 95% in. Just need to make sure we can wrap a few things up at work.

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »
Not near any of them so it's open air seating in that department with a shovel. As far as the food is concerned, I haven't much on the grapevine, so what I'm planning is bringing two large Dutch ovens for beef stew that will easily feed 12+ people. If you wanted to bring about 12 dinner rolls and some foil to warm them up in so we can heat them up that would be great. If other guys bring some chips etc would be nice. As long as the group is not much over 12 I'll handle the main course. Hopefully in the next couple of days if there are any cancellations folks can post up.

Open air seating works for us.  I'll be sure to grab dinner rolls and foil.

ManduhO

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2014 X
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2015, 04:42:40 PM »
If you are able to go please post so ASAP so I can get a final head count. Make sure the dog is comfortable with fireworks because in those areas there are a lot of them going off all over the place and I wouldn't want the dog to get scared and run off into the desert at night getting lost in those washes.

Oh yeah, he sleeps through fireworks. But, I'll have to bow out this time around. My friend has a huge work project new years eve and by the time she's done, we won't have time to get out there. Maybe next time!

Celt

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »
Celt, where are you planning on camping?

Nothing set in stone but looking at Palm wash N/E of Calcite Mine Rd.

Celt

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2015, 07:21:32 PM »
We are 95% in. Just need to make sure we can wrap a few things up at work.

Awesome, my Dad was just asking about you guys over Christmas.

Celt

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »
Open air seating works for us.  I'll be sure to grab dinner rolls and foil.

Ok thanks, how many are in your group? I'm asking because I want to make sure there is plenty of stew to go around, if your family doesn't want that it's fine just let me know so I can make sure those that do are taken care of. So far it looks like there should be 12 people in attendance not counting how many other folks you are bringing. Since it looks like you have never been on any of the runs with us before I just wanted to add in a few things, forgive me if you already know this but it will make everyone's life more comfortable. Bring everything you will need to camp in fairly cold weather (Predictions 40f at night). Plan for winds just because it's the desert in the winter. Please bring all utensils, plates, drinks, gizmos, snivel gear and whatnots you may need. Dinner meal is taken care of but lunch and breakfast isn't. This is a very relaxed group of experienced folks going that are very family friendly and helpful but it's surely not a catered event. Now that being said, if you get down there and find you are missing something I'm sure folks will do their best to help you out but everything is primitive. Do you have a HAM radio or run a CB? Neither are required on this because it's just a get together but most will be on HAM chattering. The meet up is at Dudley's Bakery at high noon on New Years Eve. https://dudleysbakery.com/ Please be ready to get on the move by being fueled up and ready to go NLT 1300, fuel is available in Santa Ysabel but it's more expensive than Ramona etc. Don's market should be open for last minute needs. Once we get down there the only services available is Salton City which will be fairly close and Borrego Springs which is a bit of a jaunt away from our camping spot. The pre-determined camping spot is not hard and fast because there is a small chance others will be close by. If that's the case we may adjust to get off the beaten path a little more so it's important to meet the SP time/location. I look forward to having you and your family along on the trip and believe you will walk away after having a great experience in the desert with some really great folks. If you have any questions about anything or need something post it up or send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
New Years run
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2015, 08:24:55 AM »
^^^ Great post.

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
FYI I found a cool little race track to the left of the 4x4 area. If you are interested, I can pull GPS data out so you guys can hit it.

It's made for side by sides, but our trucks for and the bank turns are fun in 2wd

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »
Ok thanks, how many are in your group? I'm asking because I want to make sure there is plenty of stew to go around, if your family doesn't want that it's fine just let me know so I can make sure those that do are taken care of. So far it looks like there should be 12 people in attendance not counting how many other folks you are bringing. Since it looks like you have never been on any of the runs with us before I just wanted to add in a few things, forgive me if you already know this but it will make everyone's life more comfortable. Bring everything you will need to camp in fairly cold weather (Predictions 40f at night). Plan for winds just because it's the desert in the winter. Please bring all utensils, plates, drinks, gizmos, snivel gear and whatnots you may need. Dinner meal is taken care of but lunch and breakfast isn't. This is a very relaxed group of experienced folks going that are very family friendly and helpful but it's surely not a catered event. Now that being said, if you get down there and find you are missing something I'm sure folks will do their best to help you out but everything is primitive. Do you have a HAM radio or run a CB? Neither are required on this because it's just a get together but most will be on HAM chattering. The meet up is at Dudley's Bakery at high noon on New Years Eve. https://dudleysbakery.com/ Please be ready to get on the move by being fueled up and ready to go NLT 1300, fuel is available in Santa Ysabel but it's more expensive than Ramona etc. Don's market should be open for last minute needs. Once we get down there the only services available is Salton City which will be fairly close and Borrego Springs which is a bit of a jaunt away from our camping spot. The pre-determined camping spot is not hard and fast because there is a small chance others will be close by. If that's the case we may adjust to get off the beaten path a little more so it's important to meet the SP time/location. I look forward to having you and your family along on the trip and believe you will walk away after having a great experience in the desert with some really great folks. If you have any questions about anything or need something post it up or send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer.

There is going to be 4 total in my group.  Myself, wife, and two kids (4 & 6).  My daughter is a picky eater so dont count on her eating the dinner.  I planned on bringing food for the other meals/snacks.  We have camped up in Big Bear with these same temperatures and did fine.  Sleeping bags are rated for the temperatures and blankets will be on hand if they are needed.  I have a CB radio that I will use for communication while driving.  I have not looked into getting a HAM radio but am interested in checking what you guys are using.  Perhaps a future mod.  Overall we should be prepared and thanks for the concern. 

Celt

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
Sounds great, I look forward to meeting you and your family!

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
Hey Celt,

I'm coming out tomorrow and will be staying in Borrego Springs in the RV. Staying there until the 2nd for anybody who wants to "hang around"  ;D  It appears that BlackWidow will be coming out early AM on the 1st.

Do you know exactly where you are all going to camp by chance and/or when you are going to get there?   I know 146.535 and we all should be in communication that way.
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 12:45:36 PM »
Work cleared, we're in.

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 02:10:43 PM »
Hey Celt,

I have to work a half day tomorrow ('till 12:30pm)  I won't be able to meet up at the Bakery and follow you guys into camp.

Not being super familiar with the area, can you give me a general ideal of where the proposed campsite will be?  (google maps GPS coordinates would be awesome)
You also mentioned that the primary site might be full and we might be camping at a secondary spot.  Any idea where that might be?

Anyways, I'll be on the ham (146.535)  Hopefully somebody will be listening!

Jordan is going to wait up for me so at least I won't be lonely!

And if you don't know how to find GPS coordinates via google maps, it's really easy on a computer
Find the spot you're looking for, right click and choose "what's here"
This will bring up the coordinates!

Right click on the part of the map you'd like coordinates for and click "What's here?"
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/907/7xip35.png
New Years run

Copy and paste those GPS coordinates and post them up!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/905/2Q1fwd.png
New Years run
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)