Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Fallbrook to Hell's Kitchen - Sunday, 7/3/16  (Read 31740 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Fallbrook to Hell's Kitchen - Sunday, 7/3/16
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 10:28:07 AM »
the adventure pass is only required if you are parking and leaving the vehicle to hike or ride bikes,  if you guys are just driving around, you don't need an adventure pass.

That's only partially true. The pass is required for use of the OHV area, and would be required if we decided to stop along the trail for lunch, or to get out of our vehicles and explore an area, or check out a scenic overlook, etc. That being said, it's really not a concern for this trip. We aren't camping or planning to leave vehicles behind for any length of time. I just want to make sure everyone understands the requirement, and the risk (which is very low, it seems). My only concern would be that since it's 4th of July weekend, there could be a ranger or a volunteer posted up at the OHV park requiring that people have one. If that ends up happening, I'm sure said ranger/volunteer would also have them available and you'd simply be able to pay the $5 on the spot.

Put me down for a definite going +3 for the wife and kids.

Got you down sir. Look forward to seeing you out there!

Oh, I am so up for this.  I have been out on the fires in east San Diego for the last three days and this is the first chance I have had to check back in.  Any day, any time that weekend and I am up for it.  May be able to get one of my sons to come along too.

Got you down Tony. See you there!

I will be attending, excited to meet everyone.  I will be rolling with the wife and 2 kids.

Great news, got you listed. See you there!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:22:03 PM by JFanaselle »

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »
For those of you who are worried about missing Church on Sunday ,
I am an Ordained Minister
I can Perform a CB Sunday Service

This made me laugh... :)

So much good stuff (again) in this thread.

Just to clarify, the Adventure Pass is a USFS pass, required while "recreating" out of your vehicle in the National Forests.  The annual NP passes (senior rates start @ 62 years young) are for NP access only.  We just bought one of these while visiting Arches/Canyonlands and got the full 411 from the rangers there before we plunked down the $80.  Good news is that pass works for Death Valley NP and Joshua Tree NP locally, so the value was there.

I agree with Joe...supporting these programs "is the right thing to do", but for this run the A-pass would not be necessary, especially traveling as a group.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

FrankB

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
. . . Just to clarify, the Adventure Pass is a USFS pass, required while "recreating" out of your vehicle in the National Forests.  The annual NP passes (senior rates start @ 62 years young) are for NP access only.  We just bought one of these while visiting Arches/Canyonlands and got the full 411 from the rangers there before we plunked down the $80.  Good news is that pass works for Death Valley NP and Joshua Tree NP locally, so the value was there.

I agree with Joe...supporting these programs "is the right thing to do", but for this run the A-pass would not be necessary, especially traveling as a group.

Not quite.  The America the Beautiful Annual Pass does in fact take the place of the Adventure Pass.  Use the hang tag, and according to the Cleveland NF ranger I just called, be sure that the signature side of the card is facing out.

The annual pass says on the back "The National Parks And Federal Recreational Lands Pass".  I get one every year because between a few National Parks, occasional trips to the various National Forests, and many trips each year up to Cabrillo National Monument (the Point Loma Lighthouse in San Diego) I figure it is worth it. 

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cleveland/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev7_016469

Not trying to be argumentative here, but since many of us may already have the America The Beautiful Pass, I wanted folks to know you don't have to get anything else.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 07:47:12 PM »
Not quite.  The America the Beautiful Annual Pass does in fact take the place of the Adventure Pass.  Use the hang tag, and according to the Cleveland NF ranger I just called, be sure that the signature side of the card is facing out.

The annual pass says on the back "The National Parks And Federal Recreational Lands Pass".  I get one every year because between a few National Parks, occasional trips to the various National Forests, and many trips each year up to Cabrillo National Monument (the Point Loma Lighthouse in San Diego) I figure it is worth it. 

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cleveland/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev7_016469

Not trying to be argumentative here, but since many of us may already have the America The Beautiful Pass, I wanted folks to know you don't have to get anything else.

I have been wrong before.

I will have my ranger from Canyonlands call your ranger from Cleveland so my ranger can be set straight.

Thanks for the clarification Frank!

Sent from Cygnus-X1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 09:24:39 PM »
I was told my National Parks pass can not be used as an Adventure pass??
Who Knows  :o
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:45:40 PM by Jayrat »
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 10:02:45 PM »
I made the decision to go on the trip so put me down as a yes with Mrs. Celt and possibly a Chimpanzee if I can get him out of the banana tree. Is there anymore discussion of heading out on Saturday or has it been firmed up for Sunday?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:45:37 PM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

FrankB

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »
I was told my National Parks pass can not be used as an Adventure pass??
Who Knows  :o

Here is another page, this one from the USFS.  You don't need to buy another pass if you have the $80 annual all Federal Lands pass.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r5/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5208418

Here is some text from that page, I added the bold and underlining.

"This is a pass to use designated sites and areas of the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres and San Bernardino National Forests. Visitors to these four forests will be required to display the Pass in their vehicles when using the Forest for recreation purpose. The Adventure Pass is not a national pass like the America the Beautiful Interagency Passes. It is a local regional pass, required only on the four forests listed above. America the Beautiful Interagency Passes are also accepted at all locations where the Adventure Pass is required."

When I get my pass each year, usually at Cabrillo National Monument, I get a hang tag with it that allows it to be displayed in a window just like the Adventure Pass.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 05:56:43 AM »
That pass also gets you a discount on camping fees and Mojave Road Group Permits.   8)
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 09:05:18 AM »
I made the decision to go on the trip so put me down as a yes. Is there anymore discussion of heading out on Saturday or has it been firmed up for Sunday?

Got you down buddy. With as much traction as this gained immediately, I'd rather keep it set for Sunday at this point. Once people started chiming in that they were good to go, I set up the rest of my weekend plans around having this trip on Sunday. Hopefully with the holiday on Monday, this is good for most folks.

It certainly won't be the last run we ever plan, so we can set something up for a Saturday soon, too. I'd like to get something planned up into the San Jacinto Mountains this summer. Lots of cool roads up there, and maybe we can get PainRoller and FixItGuy to join us if it's right in their back yard. :) Maybe even an overnight camping trip up there. There's a cool yellowpost site on Thomas Mountain Truck Trail, but we'll have to see what the fire restrictions look like once they go in effect.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 11:29:11 AM »
Got you down buddy. With as much traction as this gained immediately, I'd rather keep it set for Sunday at this point. Once people started chiming in that they were good to go, I set up the rest of my weekend plans around having this trip on Sunday. Hopefully with the holiday on Monday, this is good for most folks.

It certainly won't be the last run we ever plan, so we can set something up for a Saturday soon, too. I'd like to get something planned up into the San Jacinto Mountains this summer. Lots of cool roads up there, and maybe we can get PainRoller and FixItGuy to join us if it's right in their back yard. :) Maybe even an overnight camping trip up there. There's a cool yellowpost site on Thomas Mountain Truck Trail, but we'll have to see what the fire restrictions look like once they go in effect.

Sounds good to me buddy, I'll be there. One question I had though is who is this "Pain Roller" and "Fix it Guy" you speak of??
Isaiah 6:8

lutsie

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »

Love the camping idea.  Been looking for an excuse to take the new born camping.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »
There's a cool yellowpost site on Thomas Mountain Truck Trail, but we'll have to see what the fire restrictions look like once they go in effect.

It's a terrible site and no one will want to camp up there. :D
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 06:23:05 PM »
If you didn't catch it, the wife and are firm for this.😃

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »
It's a terrible site and no one will want to camp up there. :D

:) I've wanted to camp there ever since I got found that spot like 15 years ago - in a Mazda Protege of all things. Yeah... I used to explore those mountains before I even had an off road vehicle.  lol I think I only got stuck a few times on that trip.  O0 I made it back up there about 10 years ago when I was a communcations officer for Cal Fire - the was a remote repeater site up there on Thomas Mountain, which used to be a UHF relay into the regular VHF remote base for Support 8. Without the UHF relay, the support channel didn't cover into the Anza Valley at all. Pretty sure that's all not even there anymore, but I could be wrong.

If you didn't catch it, the wife and are firm for this.😃

Excellent! Attendee list is updated.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 08:05:27 PM »
There is still a repeater up there along with some seismic sensors so walk lightly :) Steve, Clint n family along with Jill and I had a great time up there memorial day weekend.

Sent from my RTT while stargazing

Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit