Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Fallbrook to Hell's Kitchen - Sunday, 7/3/16  (Read 30837 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Fallbrook to Hell's Kitchen - Sunday, 7/3/16
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:13:22 AM »
Our wonderful BOD RBDuffer has graciously volunteered to show us the "secret route" from Fallbrook to the El Cariso area at the top of Ortega Highway. 4th of July weekend works good since it's a 3 day weekend for most, and the holiday isn't actually until Monday this year. I picked Sunday with the hope that things won't be as busy in the morning, but we can move it to Saturday if there's an overwhelming majority that want to attend and can't make Sunday.

The plan is to meet up at the Fallbrook Cafe at 8:00 am for breakfast and hit the road at 9:00 am. It's located at 739 E. Mission Road, Fallbrook 92028. There is a Shell gas station across the street where we can top off the tanks as well.

If the Wildomar OHV area is open, then the run should take about 3 to 4 hours, depending on how much time we want to play around. The OHV area could be pretty crowded as well, since it's a holiday weekend, but we'll deal with that when we get there. The OHV area does require a forest adventure pass, as does stopping to recreate pretty much anywhere along the route within the forest. You can pick up a Forest Adventure pass at many local retailers, or you can always just risk it. I've never seen a ranger out and about checking for them, but remember, it is a holiday weekend and this could change things. I'm not sure what the fine is for not having one... maybe someone else knows and can chime in?

More information on the OHV park can be found here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recarea/?recid=47680
More information on Forest Adventure passes can be found here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/cleveland/passes-permits/recreation

The run will end at Hell's Kitchen restaurant, which is located at 32685 Ortega Highway. We can have lunch here, or just a "pop" (as RBDuffer says). From there, you can either take Highway 74 west into OC and catch I-5 to get home, or you can drop down into Lake Elsinore and catch I-15. If anyone wants to, you can also head out from here and run North Main Divide Road up to Santiago Peak, which would consume your afternoon but is also a very fun drive. As of right now, the Forest Service is listing North Main Divide Road as open, but this could change if the fire danger levels go up.

This run is family friendly, stock friendly, 2 wheel drive friendly, and requires nothing more than basic trail supplies and a good attitude in a group setting. Please have at least CB coms, and bring whatever you need in terms of snacks/food/water to spend a half day or full day out on the trails. I would highly recommend bringing supplies to have lunch on the trail as well, just in case the restaurant isn't open or we get caught up at the OHV park for longer than expected and lunch time sneaks up on us. Don't forget the sunblock if you're prone to burning like me. If you plan to air your tires down for comfort, please have a plan/be prepared to air them back up. There is not a gas station or other service station in El Cariso, and I wouldn't recommend driving Ortega Highway on aired down tires. If you decide to play around in the OHV park, there are many little short trails of varying difficulty that may or may not require 4 wheel drive, or mods like a lift, sliders or skid plates.

Please post up if you're planning to attend this run, and also send me a PM with your phone number (if I don't already have it) so we can be in touch on the morning of, just in case you have to back out at the last minute or something.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:20:56 AM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Fallbrook to Hell's Kitchen - Sunday, 7/3/16
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:13:30 AM »
Attendees:

In for sure:

1) RBDuffer
2) JFanaselle +2
3) Riz98 +3
4) Riz98's Jeep Buddy
5) Sage Bromax (maybe +1)
6) lutsie +3
7) Celt
8) RikRong + wife
9) PainRoller & FixItGuy
10) SCUBA_Dale +1
11) ghenderson21
12) sdcaKLR
13) MorganKC1
14) JCX +3
15) Fire Ninja +2
16) Kjswa
17) Celt family 2nd vehicle
18) Pyrofox79

Tentative:

1) steve c - a solid "maybe"
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 06:39:11 AM by JFanaselle »

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »
Why oh why  I never free when you guys do things. Fudge my life. Mmmk fudge. Fudge my diet. Can't make it.  Sucks. Someone map the route and post for those that can't make it this time do it another time. :o

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 08:22:54 AM »
Put me down for a tentative yes.  Family hasn't announced plans yet.  I might also bring my father in law in his beast of a Bronco.  He needs to break it in somewhere!

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »
Hopefully i get my x back from the shop before this run so i can go!

beedee

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:29:50 AM »
Our wonderful BOD RBDuffer has graciously volunteered to show us the "secret route" from Fallbrook to the El Cariso area at the top of Ortega Highway. 4th of July weekend works good since it's a 3 day weekend for most, and the holiday isn't actually until Monday this year. I picked Sunday with the hope that things won't be as busy in the morning, but we can move it to Saturday if there's an overwhelming majority that want to attend and can't make Sunday.

The plan is to meet up at the Fallbrook Cafe at 8:00 am for breakfast and hit the road at 9:00 am. It's located at 739 E. Mission Road, Fallbrook 92028. There is a Shell gas station across the street where we can top off the tanks as well.

If the Wildomar OHV area is open, then the run should take about 3 to 4 hours, depending on how much time we want to play around. The OHV area could be pretty crowded as well, since it's a holiday weekend, but we'll deal with that when we get there. The OHV area does require a forest adventure pass, as does stopping to recreate pretty much anywhere along the route within the forest. You can pick up a Forest Adventure pass at many local retailers, or you can always just risk it. I've never seen a ranger out and about checking for them, but remember, it is a holiday weekend and this could change things. I'm not sure what the fine is for not having one... maybe someone else knows and can chime in?

More information on the OHV park can be found here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recarea/?recid=47680
More information on Forest Adventure passes can be found here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/cleveland/passes-permits/recreation

The run will end at Hell's Kitchen restaurant, which is located at 32685 Ortega Highway. We can have lunch here, or just a "pop" (as RBDuffer says). From there, you can either take Highway 74 west into OC and catch I-5 to get home, or you can drop down into Lake Elsinore and catch I-15. If anyone wants to, you can also head out from here and run North Main Divide Road up to Santiago Peak, which would consume your afternoon but is also a very fun drive. As of right now, the Forest Service is listing North Main Divide Road as open, but this could change if the fire danger levels go up.

This run is family friendly, stock friendly, 2 wheel drive friendly, and requires nothing more than basic trail supplies and a good attitude in a group setting. Please have at least CB coms, and bring whatever you need in terms of snacks/food/water to spend a half day or full day out on the trails. I would highly recommend bringing supplies to have lunch on the trail as well, just in case the restaurant isn't open or we get caught up at the OHV park for longer than expected and lunch time sneaks up on us. Don't forget the sunblock if you're prone to burning like me. If you plan to air your tires down for comfort, please have a plan/be prepared to air them back up. There is not a gas station or other service station in El Cariso, and I wouldn't recommend driving Ortega Highway on aired down tires. If you decide to play around in the OHV park, there are many little short trails of varying difficulty that may or may not require 4 wheel drive, or mods like a lift, sliders or skid plates.

Please post up if you're planning to attend this run, and also send me a PM with your phone number (if I don't already have it) so we can be in touch on the morning of, just in case you have to back out at the last minute or something.

We never bought them when we would park in the CNF for mt. biking, once in awhile we got a "ticket". All you do is mail in the $5 and you are good. The topic is actually a hot debate, many people say the program is a crock of you know what and the funds don't go where they are suppose to or what not, and there are some questions as to the legality of it. Some of my friends would never pay the fine and nothing happened. YMMV.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 09:47:47 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've heard the same thing.  I will not be sporting a pass.  But each person must decide the risk for themselves.

Thanks for the info.  And Joe, thanks for the OP.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 11:23:07 AM »
Jayrat + 1 maybe 2
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »
Hopefully i get my x back from the shop before this run so i can go!

I put you down as tentative. Please let me know if you can make it or not as we get closer.

We never bought them when we would park in the CNF for mt. biking, once in awhile we got a "ticket". All you do is mail in the $5 and you are good. The topic is actually a hot debate, many people say the program is a crock of you know what and the funds don't go where they are suppose to or what not, and there are some questions as to the legality of it. Some of my friends would never pay the fine and nothing happened. YMMV.

Good to know about the fine situation. As for the validity/legality of the program - I've followed some of the debate on that topic. I've always kind of looked at it like this - I love to recreate in the forest, and the forest service programs are grossly underfunded. Anything that helps them help me have a good time on public lands is worth paying a few bucks a year for, so I get a new annual adventure pass every December. I look at it like a $30 donation to the forest service every year. Fees like this are always a hot-button issue, especially when it comes down to how the money is being used and accounted for, and I totally get it. You should have seen the local uproar when the fire department started charging an annual $50 "subscription fee" for paramedic services within my city. There were lawsuits and all kinds of protest. But in the end, it was determined to be legal - you don't have to pay it each year, but you pay a significantly higher amount (like $460) if you don't have the subscription and you have an emergency that requires care from a paramedic. But it was the only way the city could afford to keep a medic on each fire engine, otherwise they would have had to lay people off.

Thanks for the info.  And Joe, thanks for the OP.

No, thank YOU for leading us on the trails for this trip! :)

Jayrat + 1 maybe 2

Sweet! Got you listed. See you there! :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:00:47 PM by JFanaselle »

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »
I'll talk to the wife about this, right now put me down as tentative.  I'll cancel the High Desert Breakfast and roll it into this.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »
I'll talk to the wife about this, right now put me down as tentative.  I'll cancel the High Desert Breakfast and roll it into this.

Totally didn't even realize I was scheduling this on the same day as the High Desert Breakfast meet up! Very sorry Rick.

However, I know my wife would love it if your wife came along, so please do try and talk her into it. :) Is there anyone else that was planning to come to the High Desert Breakfast that may want to come to this instead? I feel bad that we scheduled this for the same day.  :-[

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »
I'm a maybe on this.

Kind of depends what the weekend holds (work wise)

If I do go, I'm going to bring my camping crap.  Blue Jay and Falcon campsites are very close to the end of this run and it would be silly not to camp for a night since I'm right there.

With that being said, there probably won't be any sites available because its 4th of July weekend!
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »
Got you down as a solid maybe, Steve. And good point about the campsites! Yeah, they'll probably be packed, but they're first come/first serve so maybe you'll get lucky. Or you could just tell work to pound sand, head up there Friday afternoon, camp all weekend, and meet us in Fallbrook on Sunday morning.  O0
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:18:08 PM by JFanaselle »

FrankB

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 05:10:45 PM »
. . .  The OHV area does require a forest adventure pass, as does stopping to recreate pretty much anywhere along the route within the forest. You can pick up a Forest Adventure pass at many local retailers, or you can always just risk it. I've never seen a ranger out and about checking for them, but remember, it is a holiday weekend and this could change things. I'm not sure what the fine is for not having one... maybe someone else knows and can chime in?

. . .

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure that an America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass (the $80/year one, unless you are over 65 or meet a few other criteria) covers all Federal lands, and works for this.  You can get a hangtag for your window that allows you to display it properly if you are away from the vehicle.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 05:44:16 PM »
the adventure pass is only required if you are parking and leaving the vehicle to hike or ride bikes,  if you guys are just driving around, you don't need an adventure pass.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit