Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Big Bear/2N02 AAT/SCXF~SCCX Meet N Greet - Sunday, July 31st  (Read 28610 times)

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Re: Big Bear/2N02 AAT/SCXF~SCCX Meet N Greet - Sunday, July 31st
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 12:23:42 PM »
I will figure out something for the potluck on Sunday.

Beedee - straight line distance plotted from Google Earth is about 19 miles one way.  Much of it is straight, but there are some curvy sections too.  I would guess it is no more than 30 miles one way.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »
Yo Joe,

Thanks for the updates.

I know we don't know the exact picnic spot yet, but how many miles is the trail from the Vale Drive entrance to PioneerTown? I have done only about 5 miles as an out and back (my friend lives right off of Vale drive).

It's about 24 miles of dirt road from Vale Drive to Pioneertown. The last 7-ish miles of the drive are technically private property, and the speed limit is posted as 15 mph. All in all, it takes about 90 mins to run the full road alone, I'd give it 2.5 - 3 hours with a group this size (multiple bathroom breaks, etc).

My suggestion for lunch is the BLM area just outside the forest boundary along Viscera Springs Road. The location is here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/34%C2%B015'32.3%22N+116%C2%B039'03.4%22W/@34.25898,-116.6520253,315m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d34.25898!4d-116.650931

It's a large area with a few fun roads and trails that zip around and connect with one another. The spot where I dropped the pin specifically has a large hill that 4x4 rigs can climb with ease. It's a very fun, but very easy obstacle, even for inexperienced wheelers. The area is mostly Joshua trees, so a large group would be a bit spread out around the trees. There's actually a PERFECT lunch spot just a short distance to the northwest of the dropped pin that I'm having a hard time locating on the map at the moment (especially since the areal shots are full of snow), but I can find it pretty easily in person. We've eaten lunch out there a few times. Here's some shots:

The hill I was talking about:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/34.jpg
Big Bear/2N02 AAT/SCXF~SCCX Meet N Greet - Sunday, July 31st

And going down the other side (the 3 wheel motion was done intentionally):
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/CANVAZ%2015/31.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/CANVAZ%2015/32.jpg

Some trails in the area:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/39.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/45.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/CANVAZ%2015/26.jpg

As you can see, there are plenty of spaces to spread out a bunch of rigs and have a large lunch. Unfortunately, the Joshua trees don't provide much shade. Here's the "perfect" lunch spot we discovered last time out there. If we got creative and parked rigs around and outside the space, we might be able to fit just the people/grills/food tables/chairs in the shade area:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/CANVAZ%2015/24.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/CANVAZ%2015/23.jpg

If we prioritized time a little, we could easily be to the lunch spot by noon to start setting up. We'd pass through most of the area to "play" on the way to the exact lunch spot, so everyone would get a good idea of where they can play around. There are some roads that lead to private property and ranches, and the folks out there don't take too lightly to trespassing. But those roads and property boundaries are very clearly marked, so you'd almost have to trespass on purpose.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:11:17 PM by JFanaselle »

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 06:01:22 PM »
Do we want cross-post the suggestion for using this spot?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
Joe...you guys have this dialed. Makes my heart happy.

Sent from Cygnus-X1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2016, 10:45:29 PM »
That was a real nice lunch spot too.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 06:12:27 AM »
Joe,
Look at Vaughn Springs, which is about 500 yds NW of your pin.  Also, use the time scroll on Google Earth to pick images that don't have snow.
Lat 34.259518°, Long -116.660148°

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
Hey Joe, that fifth photo is where we had my wedding reception lol

Nice work getting everything organized, thanks.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 03:00:35 PM »
Do we want cross-post the suggestion for using this spot?

Yes, I think we should. Especially since Brett said they don't have a spot nailed down yet. Would you mind handling that? I'm not the best expert at the book of faces and sometimes my posts in group events don't work right for some reason.  :o

Let them know that I don't mind leading the group back to the spot. I'm going to scout it out on Monday when we go recover the Oldsmobile, so I'll have a better idea of exactly where we need to end up.

Joe,
Look at Vaughn Springs, which is about 500 yds NW of your pin.  Also, use the time scroll on Google Earth to pick images that don't have snow.
Lat 34.259518°, Long -116.660148°

Good call Tony (and great advice about using the time scroll, didn't know about it!). This is pretty darn close to the spot we all ate on the Canvaz run. I think we were just a bit further off of Viscera Springs road, but it's all in the same general area. I'll check this spot out on Monday. It looks bigger, but doesn't look like it has much shade. I could care less, because I bring my own shade  8) but with a group this size and kids and what not, it's probably a good idea to try and find some.

Hey Joe, that fifth photo is where we had my wedding reception lol

Indeed it is! I remember it all too well. If that area is good enough for your wedding reception, then it's good enough for a group picnic. :)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/43.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/42.jpg

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »
Yes, I think we should. Especially since Brett said they don't have a spot nailed down yet. Would you mind handling that? I'm not the best expert at the book of faces and sometimes my posts in group events don't work right for some reason.  :o

Let them know that I don't mind leading the group back to the spot. I'm going to scout it out on Monday when we go recover the Oldsmobile, so I'll have a better idea of exactly where we need to end up.
Will do, I'll post over there and see what they think.  I agree that it's a good spot to spread out, get some shade, and wheel if we want.

edit:  post added, I also added a comment in there about tracking hours for AAT.  I can't cut and paste links into FB on my work computer for some reason.  Joe, if you see the post, can you add a link to the map?  I've also tried tagging you in the post, FB does not work right at all on this computer. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:50:39 PM by RikRong »
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

occupantX

• 4wd Pts: 65535
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 09:16:59 PM »
I'm for Saturday camping trip...
My vote is for Saturday going up RattleSnake to 2N02, then camping around 2N02 and wait for the Sunday caravan.  Good camping spots up Tip Top Mountain.
The non-club non-member formerly known as sdcaKLR, 'cause you know..bananas

xterrakid1966

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »
Yes we are planning to be there for the potluck

Off-roadNovice

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2000 Nissan Xterra SE 3.3 V6
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »
The Mrs. and I will be there but will not camp overnight. Yes on the potluck just not sure what we are bringing yet

glamisdude72000

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 09:19:45 AM »
Myself and girlfriend will be there, with the possibility of friend in a 2wd Frontier joining us. We plan on camping Saturday night in BB somewhere. Not sure what we are bringing to the potluck yet. We are also bringing mountain bikes with the intention of getting a ride in after the run. Would anybody like to join us? Or know of any good trails near where the run ends? Most of my BB riding experience has been on the mountain in the bike park area, not familiar with other trails in the area.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
Myself and girlfriend will be there, with the possibility of friend in a 2wd Frontier joining us. We plan on camping Saturday night in BB somewhere. Not sure what we are bringing to the potluck yet. We are also bringing mountain bikes with the intention of getting a ride in after the run. Would anybody like to join us? Or know of any good trails near where the run ends? Most of my BB riding experience has been on the mountain in the bike park area, not familiar with other trails in the area.

Chris...checkout Skyline Trail for MTB.

Sent from Cygnus-X1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

beedee

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 09:49:50 AM »

This run ends in the desert, so you would have to backtrack up 2N02 to get back to Big Bear proper.

As Ghost said, Skyline is a very scenic trail and worth checking out. Not too technical at all.