Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Big Bear/2N02 AAT/SCXF~SCCX Meet N Greet - Sunday, July 31st  (Read 28782 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Big Bear/2N02 AAT/SCXF~SCCX Meet N Greet - Sunday, July 31st
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 12:59:54 PM »
Am I the only one who can't get the FB Linky to work?!?! ???

Meh....I suck at tech...I thought Jordan fixed it...here's a screen shot...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160701/210fd34e8e18930d0f58972495b1f22f.jpg
Big Bear/2N02 AAT/SCXF~SCCX Meet N Greet - Sunday, July 31st

An overnighter sounds like a good plan.  I will put it on my schedule.

Thanks Tony.

What is a "FB" ??

Full boat.

Sent from Cygnus-X1
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:01:57 PM by Ghost65 »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Big Bear/2N02 AAT/SCXF~SCCX Meet N Greet - Sunday, July 31st
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 01:31:25 PM »
It works for me... so it must just be you  >:D

non-fancy link:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1273718659313171/
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

occupantX

• 4wd Pts: 65535
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »
This faceless zucker may be there, I'm 69.96% sure, will work my way up to 80 :)
Is the plan to meet up in Big Bear, or follow 2N02 from Pioneer Town....or do I ask, enter via the fun shortcut called Rattlesnake?
The non-club non-member formerly known as sdcaKLR, 'cause you know..bananas

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
This faceless zucker may be there, I'm 69.96% sure, will work my way up to 80 :)
Is the plan to meet up in Big Bear, or follow 2N02 from Pioneer Town....or do I ask, enter via the fun shortcut called Rattlesnake?

Lol!

From what I understand (very little ) the meet spot is TBD.

The run needs to be 2wd friendly, so some run of the full length of 2N02 is planned. Not sure which direction yet...east to west or vice versa.

Sent from Cygnus-X1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 08:24:02 PM »
My personal thought is that it would be really cool to to have one (much smaller) 4WD group come up through Rattlesnake Canyon, while the remainder of the group comes up from Pioneertown.

Trouble is - the run is planned for Sunday, so the directions wouldn't exactly work for the SD folks that want to camp in Big Bear the night before. Unless you guys wanted to drive down the backside of the mountain into Johnson Valley, only to head back up the mountain before heading back down the mountain to drive home (whew... I got exhausted just typing that). Seems a bit excessive if you're not camping in Big Bear on Sunday night, so starting on the Baldwin Lake side might be the only choice really.

Sure would work out a lot better if this run was planned for Saturday - meet up in Johnson valley with the 2WD group meeting up in Pioneertown, merge the two groups at the official southern trailhead (and have lunch somewhere around there), then camp in Big Bear for the evening before having a delicious Pastrami Hash and Eggs breakfast at the Teddy Bear Cafe on Sunday morning and heading home.  :) Dammit... how come I'm always thinking about food!?! 

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 09:10:19 PM »
My personal thought is that it would be really cool to to have one (much smaller) 4WD group come up through Rattlesnake Canyon, while the remainder of the group comes up from Pioneertown.

Trouble is - the run is planned for Sunday, so the directions wouldn't exactly work for the SD folks that want to camp in Big Bear the night before. Unless you guys wanted to drive down the backside of the mountain into Johnson Valley, only to head back up the mountain before heading back down the mountain to drive home (whew... I got exhausted just typing that). Seems a bit excessive if you're not camping in Big Bear on Sunday night, so starting on the Baldwin Lake side might be the only choice really.

Sure would work out a lot better if this run was planned for Saturday - meet up in Johnson valley with the 2WD group meeting up in Pioneertown, merge the two groups at the official southern trailhead (and have lunch somewhere around there), then camp in Big Bear for the evening before having a delicious Pastrami Hash and Eggs breakfast at the Teddy Bear Cafe on Sunday morning and heading home.  :) Dammit... how come I'm always thinking about food!?!

Jordan told me I'm going.
Camping Saturday night. 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

beedee

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »
I like the sounds of that Joe!

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
Sound slike the Sunday date is pretty firm, per one of the posts on the facebook event. So I don't really think it'll work. Unfortunately, it sounds like the best option in that case is to run from top to bottom, unless the Saturday night campers want to make multiple trips up and down the hill.

We'll figure it all out as it gets closer, but we sure would have a lot more options if it was a Saturday trip.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 10:55:44 PM »
Sound slike the Sunday date is pretty firm, per one of the posts on the facebook event. So I don't really think it'll work. Unfortunately, it sounds like the best option in that case is to run from top to bottom, unless the Saturday night campers want to make multiple trips up and down the hill.

We'll figure it all out as it gets closer, but we sure would have a lot more options if it was a Saturday trip.

I gotta side with you on this stuff Joe. I have gone up to Big Bear before and set up camp then got up the next day and wheeled and turned around to come home. It's pretty grueling if not sometimes outright dangerous with the exhaustion factor getting in there headed home. I have changed my Big Bear SOP so that when I go wheeling I have that night to get up and head back down the next morning after being rested. It's not difficult on me to get up early and head out if I'm pre-packed and prepped, run the trails then head to camp wherever that may be. Some things people don't always think about is the altitude and dehydration. If you indulge in adult beverages the night before that assists with the dehydration. Add in mental and physical stress running many of those trails. Break downs or waiting at the end of some conga line to get through an obstacle can literally add three or more hours onto your day. The list goes on and on and the last thing I would want to hear is anyone of us got injured due to fatigue. Having a rest night, getting up and having a nice breakfast before heading back is sage advice.
Isaiah 6:8

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 11:07:35 AM »
I'm with you guys, Sunday make this trip very tough.  It's a deal breaker for me. 
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »
One thought is coordinating a Saturday sleepover as others have suggested (a good nights rest) and then a caravan back to San Diego together.  Safety in numbers?

The trail can be run this time west to east with departure and dinner in Yucca Valley...caravan back down the 10/60/215 route or the good ole 74/371/79 route.  :)
KD6DCI

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »
Here's the latest update, including meeting place and time, and details of the route:

The route will be run from Baldwin Lake to Pioneertown (down the mountain, not up). The official meet time and place is 9:30 am at the Burns Canyon trailhead off of Vale Drive in Baldwin Lake. The plan is to air down and hit the trail from here, so make sure you are gassed up and fed when you arrive here at 9:30 am Tthere are plenty of gas stations and eateries nearby in Big Bear. For those who are unfamiliar with the area, here's a google maps link to the meet spot: https://www.google.com/maps/place/34%C2%B016'47.0%22N+116%C2%B047'46.4%22W/@34.2797253,-116.8137286,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d34.279727!4d-116.796219

Something we need to be very aware of (and I've also shared these concerns with the SCXF group on Facebook, as well): The trailhead at Vale Drive is right in the heart of a quiet residential area. There is plenty of room for everyone's rigs along the sides of the road to air down and get the group together, but we want to make sure we're very respectful of the local residents (who are normally very accommodating to the off-road crowd that uses this trail). Those of you who know me, know that I'm about as loud and excitable as anyone can be, so I'm going to work very hard to keep my voice and noise levels down, and I ask all of you to do the same. We also need to make sure we're quick to get aired down and be ready to move on (if you even plan to air down), so that we're not hanging around with a bunch of rigs in these folks' neighborhood for too long. Lastly, this means that punctuation is key - definitely don't be late, and try not to be too early. :)

The group will run down the trail and then stop for a pot-luck style picnic/bbq. Participation in the pot luck is completely optional, but remember that it's bad form to eat others' food if you don't bring something yourself to share with everyone. :) The group will hang out at this spot for a couple hours as everyone eats, socializes, and checks out each other's rigs. The area also promises to be a fun playground to wheel around and take photos, especially for 4WD rigs. I'll see if I can get more details about exactly where we'll be eating as a group. With past SCXF events, the trail run itself is only 2 to 3 hours long and the picnic/social event takes up the remainder of the day. It becomes very relaxed from that point, as some folks stay all day and some depart early to get back home at a decent hour.

Please make sure you post up if you're "in" for this event (and also whether or not you plan to bring a dish for the potluck), so we can give the SCXF folks a good idea of our expected level of participation. I'll add an abbreviated version of this info to the OP, and maintain a sign-up list there as well.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
This is still on my schedule.  Including a Saturday night campout.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

beedee

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 12:15:02 PM »
Yo Joe,

Thanks for the updates.

I know we don't know the exact picnic spot yet, but how many miles is the trail from the Vale Drive entrance to PioneerTown? I have done only about 5 miles as an out and back (my friend lives right off of Vale drive).

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 12:18:53 PM »
Joe, the wife and I are still in.  I'll bring something for the potluck, I might even ask my brother if I can borrow his camp grill to use up there.  Dale and I are staying up there Friday and Saturday nights.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky