Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Graduation Excursion  (Read 4676 times)

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
Graduation Excursion
« on: June 14, 2016, 07:41:35 AM »
Many of you have met my son Randy on at least one of our runs.  Well this Thursday he is graduating from high school, and before he starts cross country training on Monday he want to hit the trails in Big Bear.  So we are planning to do Gold Mountain and Little John Bull this Saturday.  We will be leaving Orange around 7:00 AM looking to get to Big Bear around 9:00.  We would love to have as many people as possible join us.  I know it's last minute but if you are free let me know if you can make it and we can pick a place to meet.

Gold Mountain is a medium difficulty trail and could be down with minimally modified rigs with helpful spotting.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re: Graduation Excursion
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 05:14:12 AM »
Booooooo!
   I'll have to miss. Congrats Randy.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »
Congrats to your son, two more years for Alex.  Then...cut the cord!!!  8)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 02:03:21 PM »
Do these trails require lockers?  I am having some issues with mine right now but I will be hopefully fixing it tomorrow.  Other then that I would be down to go as I have not ventured off into the Big Bear trail system yet.  I will be coming from San Diego so let me know where you want to meet up. 

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 02:11:17 PM »
Do these trails require lockers?  I am having some issues with mine right now but I will be hopefully fixing it tomorrow.  Other then that I would be down to go as I have not ventured off into the Big Bear trail system yet.  I will be coming from San Diego so let me know where you want to meet up.

Lockers aren't required, but they wouldn't hurt.  How big are your tires?  Do you have a lift?  Skids?  Sliders?  Gold Mountain, while very passable with not many mods, can also be unforgiving, and it is certainly not a green trail.  I'd suggest doing a search on YouTube for 'Gold Mountain'.

My .02

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »
Lockers aren't required, but they wouldn't hurt.  How big are your tires?  Do you have a lift?  Skids?  Sliders?  Gold Mountain, while very passable with not many mods, can also be unforgiving, and it is certainly not a green trail.  I'd suggest doing a search on YouTube for 'Gold Mountain'.

My .02
^^^^^^^^
Agree with xxSVxx
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Riz98

• PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 09:24:46 PM »
Full skid plates with sliders, SAS'ed with a Dana 44, and 33's with a full size spare if needed.  I should be good to go.     

CAWoody

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 09:44:08 PM »
I believe our normal meeting place is Von's on Big Bear Blvd at the East end of town.  We can meet around 9:00A.  I have a Black Gen 2 on 35's.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:47:12 AM »
Full skid plates with sliders, SAS'ed with a Dana 44, and 33's with a full size spare if needed.  I should be good to go.     

should be good to go w/ that set-up

Riz98

• PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 04:49:29 PM »
should be good to go w/ that set-up
Thanks

CAWoody

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »
I want to thank Jake, Bianca and the kids for coming out and joining us in Big Bear.  Randy and I had a great time in spite of having to deal with  Forest Fest, the Big Bear Triathlon, and some mountain bike race.  We didn't get to do Gold Mountain and Little John Bull since some over-priced rig with under experienced pilots broken down on the trail.  We have five within a quarter mile blocking the trial and only one we could see was on an obstacle.  We did however do Jacoby Creek, Skyline trail and Coyote trail and only close a couple of times of having a bun headed mountain biker become a hood ornament.  And they had the never to yell at me for being on the fire road.

Pictures to follow.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 05:31:49 PM »
I want to thank Jake, Bianca and the kids for coming out and joining us in Big Bear.  Randy and I had a great time in spite of having to deal with  Forest Fest, the Big Bear Triathlon, and some mountain bike race.  We didn't get to do Gold Mountain and Little John Bull since some over-priced rig with under experienced pilots broken down on the trail.  We have five within a quarter mile blocking the trial and only one we could see was on an obstacle.  We did however do Jacoby Creek, Skyline trail and Coyote trail and only close a couple of times of having a bun headed mountain biker become a hood ornament.  And they had the never to yell at me for being on the fire road.

Pictures to follow.

Ah yes, the "Man-bun",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 

Post them pics!
Isaiah 6:8

Riz98

• PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 08:13:32 PM »

Pictures to follow.
Hey Tim and Randy.  We had a great time meeting you guys up in Big Bear.  Yeah Gold Mountain trail was pretty backed up and then when we thought we going to start moving a Jeep snapped his U-Joint on his drive shaft right in front of us.  I didn't have any close calls with the mountain bikers but the whole time on the fire road I couldn't stop thinking that when I rode down hill bikes in Mammoth there would be no way I would ride a road knowing the possibility of cars coming head on.  Once again thanks for leading the trails and we are looking forward to going again.  I'll have to ask Bianca if she got any good videos or pictures.  If so I'll post them up.