Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Winter Mojave Rd 2017.  (Read 61827 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Winter Mojave Rd 2017.
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »
I know!  I'm so excited to be rolling with better suspension by the next run!

It's gonna make a world of difference for you.
Isaiah 6:8

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »
So question. I want to set up a new rear suspension since I should hopefully be rocking a swing tire bumper. I planned on getting the stock LEAF SPRINGS w/ 2.5" AAL's (from TrailBreaker), plan to work that with this suspension kit. ( http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=59142&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72 ) would it be over kill to also try and put the sport-rite airbag helper? http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4587
I'm just trying to make sure the rear wont sag or the suspension bottoms out with a swing bumper plus mods to attach jerry cans to the bumper/ not to mention a roof rack that shouldn't be loaded too bad. Advice appreciated

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
adding airbags will limit your amount of down travel sort of negating the extra travel you will supposedly gain from the nisstec kit.  I would suggest Timbren bumpstops as they don't impede downtravel and will help support your loaded xterra while offroad.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

valentin36

• 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2016, 11:20:44 AM »
So nisstec kit, good option just give a leg for some timbren bumpstops.  Understood. Guess the money supposed to go for the airbags will go to timbrens  instead. Overall would this be a good set up or need a bit more?

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2016, 02:16:02 PM »
count me out. Things have change where Im just going to get my X up n running and sell it or trade it for a 4wd. no confirmed date on when it will happen since I still own abit on the X... apologize :/

Celt

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »
count me out. Things have change where Im just going to get my X up n running and sell it or trade it for a 4wd. no confirmed date on when it will happen since I still own abit on the X... apologize :/

Ok, too bad you can't make it but thank you for the notification so I was able to free up that spot.

Celt

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2016, 06:27:53 PM »
So question. I want to set up a new rear suspension since I should hopefully be rocking a swing tire bumper. I planned on getting the stock LEAF SPRINGS w/ 2.5" AAL's (from TrailBreaker), plan to work that with this suspension kit. ( http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=59142&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72 ) would it be over kill to also try and put the sport-rite airbag helper? http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4587
I'm just trying to make sure the rear wont sag or the suspension bottoms out with a swing bumper plus mods to attach jerry cans to the bumper/ not to mention a roof rack that shouldn't be loaded too bad. Advice appreciated

I'm currently running an Old Man Emu leaf pack with Bilstein 5100's with stock bump stops and have no issues bottoming out under load. I don't drive very fast and the majority of my wheeling is on the rocks. I have a swing arm, full skids, sliders etc so there is a significant amount of load that's being carried then add in on trips like TMJR two full 5 gallon jerry cans, about 8 gallons of water, other drinks and camping gear so you should be fine. In my opinion when things seem to go wrong is when the skinny pedal equation comes into play. I'm going to do a rear suspension overhaul sometime late summer but it's not because I'm dissatisfied, I'm after more articulation so I need to cut and relocate things. If you want to get an idea of how stock leaf packs operate with an AAL I have a set I would give you for the cost of say a 12 pack of good beer. You could put them on and see how things ride under load out in the desert here and you may find you don't need to change much other than your stock shocks. Knightrider mentioned the Timbrens and while I have not had personal experience with them, I have heard really great reviews. I do agree with him on the air bag setup idea you were tossing around. Come out to the food truck meet up and you can check out several different vehicles configurations and get an idea of the direction you want to go.

Gesh, I think I thread jacked my own thread...... 

valentin36

• 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »
Appreciate it ND will gladly put up that beer

Celt

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »
A little update on the progress. I was talking with Sage Bromax yesterday about the trip. So far what I'm proposing is going out the same way as last year. Soda Lake will be weather dependent of course. On the return trip what were thinking is camping at one of the mines that's between Hackberry Mtn to the West and Billie Mtn to the East and about 10 miles North of Goffs. After that head back West on any number of routes and have the last nights camp in Jackass Canyon. The last winter trip, I saw lots of nicely protected campsites all through there and thought it might be the Cat's Meow for the group.

Chime on in guys and let me know what you think that would make this trip just as much fun as the last one.

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2016, 08:04:15 PM »
Hoping Soda Lake will be nice this year, driving the railroad track route was a drag.  With that said, I loved our campsite locations.  Hopefully we'll be able to get the location in the mountain this time, unlike the April trip.

Celt

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »
Hoping Soda Lake will be nice this year, driving the railroad track route was a drag.  With that said, I loved our campsite locations.  Hopefully we'll be able to get the location in the mountain this time, unlike the April trip.

I think we shouldn't have any issues getting the "secret spot" again. Given the elevation and time a year not many people like to be up there as it gets a comfortable chilly at night.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:49 PM »
  I think we shouldn't have any issues getting the "secret spot" again. Given the elevation and time a year not many people like to be up there as it gets a comfortable chilly at night.
Camping in snow is a great deterrent for rif-raf!
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »
Camping in snow is a great deterrent for rif-raf!

And makes for a great impromptu sledding course......

Celt

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2016, 09:23:03 PM »
So today I go to lunch with the boy. He looks at me and asks who is going on the trip. "I hope Fire Ninja is there I like him, he is funny." Then he says "I hope Randy goes, he makes the campfire a lot of fun with Fire Jenga and sledding on his air mattress." Well it seems many of you guys have left some form of lasting impression on a youngster but in a way it's a really big compliment. I'm already getting excited about this trip.

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »
So today I go to lunch with the boy. He looks at me and asks who is going on the trip. "I hope Fire Ninja is there I like him, he is funny." Then he says "I hope Randy goes, he makes the campfire a lot of fun with Fire Jenga and sledding on his air mattress." Well it seems many of you guys have left some form of lasting impression on a youngster but in a way it's a really big compliment. I'm already getting excited about this trip.

I showed Lemans that post, and he was blown away.  Only 5 more months!!!!