Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Blair Valley - Nov 21, 2015 - The Apple Pie Run  (Read 3290 times)

FrankB

Blair Valley - Nov 21, 2015 - The Apple Pie Run
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:12:10 PM »
We had a great time on Saturday. It was one of the smaller groups for this event, but a great group of people, and the weather was about as good as you could ask for.  Lots of wind going through Santa Ysabel and over the mountains, but once we got down into the valley it was calm.  I didn't get many pictures this time, partly because I forgot my camera in the truck for the second hike.

We made the traditional stop at the Julian Pie Company's main bakery in Santa Ysabel.

They were gearing up for the Thanksgiving rush.

I did manage one not-very-artisic shot of the trucks stopped briefly alongside the dry lake.

Our first stop was the hike up to the old Marshal South home site.  It's about a mile climb up Ghost Mountain, a gain of about 900' or so.  The adobe home site is still very much there, but it is wearing away a bit more each time I see it.  The water system looks like it will be there forever.

The sundial still works.

There is a lot of really healthy looking cholla cactus this year.

After our hike we found a quiet spot for lunch.  Tony brought the ice cream to with the pies we picked up.

As we were walking back to the trucks after our visit to the Pictograph Rock and later the sheer drop at the end of the trail, I noticed the moon rising up behind us.

That was a great view with which to end a great day in the desert.

Thanks to everyone who showed up and made it a really fun trip.  Hopefully some of you got a few more pictures than I did. 

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: Blair Valley - Nov 21, 2015 - The Apple Pie Run
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:01:58 AM »
Pie in the desert...and clothing optional hikes.  Doesn't get much better than that.  lol
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.