Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: RATTLESNAKE CANYON ~ February 11th, 2012  (Read 63730 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
RATTLESNAKE CANYON ~ February 11th, 2012
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:11:09 AM »
Rattlesnake Canyon 2012 ~ THIS RUN IS A GO

DATE:  SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11TH, 2011

MEET SPOT:

8:00AM ~ K Mart Parking Lot

20777 Bear Valley Rd. Apple Valley 92308.

Meet Spot Map Linky:  http://mapq.st/uRBN2n

Look for the SCCX Club Banner and my white Xterra.

The group will be leaving the meet spot @ 9:00am.

CB Channel: 17
FRS Channel:  2  Sub Channel: 24
Ham Radio:  146.520

**Please have a full tank of gas when you arrive**

**TO THE GROUP** - for this year's run we are stating that 4WD IS REQUIRED.  

I have discussed this specifically with several Rattlesnake veterans, and with a group of this size, 2WD will simply compromise everyone's timely trail progress.

SCCX will be planning some 2WD friendly runs in the future for sure.

Rattlesnake Canyon ~ Moderate: ~ 25miles & 4 - 6 hours, weather permitting.  With this larger group please plan for 6-8 hours of trail time.

Starts off in the high desert washes, passes through a fun rocky, canyon, by some yucca & Joshua trees with a mine site and optional short dry waterfall climb along the way. At the burns canyon intersection we
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:05:07 AM by GhostX »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

MaxPower

• 4wd Pts: 18
Re: Rattlesnake Canyon Run - February 2012 - Sand to Snow Xcursion
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »
I have some plans but either of those days works for me.  Sweet!  I've been wanting to go on my first SCCX trail run.
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

MaxPower

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »
Uh....where is this trip?  You have any cords?
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:01 AM »
Uh....where is this trip?  You have any cords?

This is local Max...the Donner Camp photo is a reference to the last trip I made.  Snowed...a lot...and there were some comments made about spending the night on the trail, etc.

This is north and east of Big Bear, off of Hwy 247 is where the trail head starts.  I'll see if I can find specific GPS coords.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

MaxPower

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:44:42 AM »
This is north and east of Big Bear, off of Hwy 247 is where the trail head starts.

Okay that's what I thought.  No need for cords right now then......I'm still in.

hardrock

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
Im in!! I did this last year and it was a lot of fun.  Snow could make this interesting...

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »
Yes I will be there, God and work permitting

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »
Im in!! I did this last year and it was a lot of fun.  Snow could make this interesting...

Cool Matt...weather permitting I am bringing a snow shovel and some Advil.  Glad you can make it.  ;)

Yes I will be there, God and work permitting

Oz, glad you are in...and I will put a good word in for you.  :)
KD6DCI

FrankB

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 06:34:54 PM »
Glad to see that scary photo(s) implying cannibalism now gone, it was creeping me out.  ;D

For anyone who has not done this trip, it really is one of the best.  For those that need to exit early, or who don't want to deal with snow (if there is any) they can always exit easily down Burns Canyon towards Pioneertown. That gives this run a lot of variety and flexibility for folks.

I can't make it on the 4th, might be able to on the 11th, but won't know for a while.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »
Safe to assume when you say "diverse and offer something for everyone from easy wash running, desert fast tracks, traditional trail rides, optional rock piles, with views, mine site, landmarks, and flora to see along the way" that a recently modded 2wd w/ tires and body armor would do alright and see most, if not all the trail?

MaxPower

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:54:08 PM »
Ha that's funny.  The guy that is credited with making that map is a friend of mine.  Small world.

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:21 AM »
Safe to assume when you say "diverse and offer something for everyone from easy wash running, desert fast tracks, traditional trail rides, optional rock piles, with views, mine site, landmarks, and flora to see along the way" that a recently modded 2wd w/ tires and body armor would do alright and see most, if not all the trail?

I would not recommend this trail for a 2wd vehicle. Very tight and twisty that requires slow going. I was on the first 4 miles last weekend looking at some potential mining claims and was surprised at how much rougher it was than what I remembered from the last time.
Note to Ghost X, Feb.11th would work for me.   
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
I would not recommend this trail for a 2wd vehicle. Very tight and twisty that requires slow going. I was on the first 4 miles last weekend looking at some potential mining claims and was surprised at how much rougher it was than what I remembered from the last time.
Note to Ghost X, Feb.11th would work for me.   

I will second the admonishment against a 2WD for this trail.  Too many spots where 4WD is mandatory, sorry.

I will put you down for 2/11 Don.

For everyone else, I have started a poll to see which date works best for everyone over on thenewx:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49141

Login over there and cast your vote, or let me know here.  I will start a count here and there of what date works best for everyone, and then majority rules.
KD6DCI

11Pro4X

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 08:15:32 PM »
BTW:  I will have SCCX stickers available for purchase at this run.  $9.00 cash and you can be the proud owner of Club colors for your Xterra or other suitable off road swiss army knife.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae195/DzrtX/The%20DzrtX/SCCXsticker-1.jpg
RATTLESNAKE CANYON ~ February 11th, 2012

I'll be there just for the sticker! 

Count me in, like I said on the newX the only thing that will stop me is work or the TS   :o

subsport

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 03:04:11 AM »
I just had the '06 aligned. I can't think of a better way to knock it back out of alignment than running Rattlesnake Canyon with you all. I'm a probable on either date ...
That's gonna leave a mark